How many 0.3 micron particles in 0.1L volume of room air?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and effectiveness of air purifiers in improving indoor air quality. The participant shares their experience with an IAQ sensor and questions its accuracy in measuring particle reduction. They also mention the lack of conclusive evidence for the health benefits of air purifiers and the potential for misleading claims by manufacturers. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the relationship between air volume, particle count, and air movement in determining the effectiveness of air purifiers.
curiouskk
Hello all,

I wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum who dedicate their personal time to enlighten so many like myself. I am a fan of physics and consider myself a student for life.

I recently bought an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) sensor/monitor to test my air purifier and as expected, the particle count decreased when I first ran it in my bedroom with the door closed. When I moved it to the living room I was surprised that despite how long I ran it or at what speed, the particle readings did not fall. When I took it back to my room I got similar results to my original test. I then did another test with the door open and saw the numbers jumped all over the place depending where it was placed. Even when the numbers went down it seemed to hit a wall which made me wonder, if the air is truly being vacuumed why it does not continue to decrease?

I did some research online and read claims, mainly from air purifier manufacturers of the benefits but was surprised to read healthcare and government sources unanimously admit that the benefits are inconclusive. One major OEM was warned to not make health benefit claims to which they immediately complied, while another household brand declared bankruptcy for making false claims. The most accepted industry standard is a terminology called CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) that is advertised on retail boxes but it merely references a square footage application with the door closed. The concern is that this standard seems to only introduce filtered air into a room which would merely dilute the air concentration allowing minimal removal of the harmful particles in our air. Worse, since these allergens are much heavier and dust naturally wants to settle, wouldn't this method actually prolong these particles time in the air?

Particle counters being rebranded as IAQ sensors are becoming increasingly popular so I think it is time to really understand their purpose. In a dusty but normal office I get values between 200 to 500 particles of size 0.3 microns per .1L on average but I am not too sure how to put these figures in perspective. So I would appreciate help in answering the following:

Fine dust is considered 0.3 microns and smaller and the volume relationship for many devices is 01.L (or 1/100 of a cubic foot depending on the type of particle counter used). So if the reading is 500 particles what percent of the total volume of 0.1L does this represent? In other words how many 0.3 micron particles can fit into a 0.1L volume of air to achieve 100% saturation? A simple volume calculation is straightforward but how do the air molecules relate into this calculation or do they? For starters, a rough calculation of 0.1L volume seems equivalent to 3 standard board game dice! Is this right?

I would like to understand the relationship of the measured value as a percent of the total volume, to determine if we are talking about saturation of a pinch of sugar in a cup, a gallon or a bathtub of water? If particles are just being blown around and diluting then these sensors may lead us to falsely believe that that the harmful airborne particles are being removed. More so since the CFM is known for the fresh air how fast are these readings effected? Can all the air in the room actually be influenced in 5 minutes as so many particle counters seem to imply?

More people die from bad air pollution than traffic accidents and the trend is only getting worse. The EPA is saying that the average indoor air in our homes is 3-5 times worse (up to 100 in some cases) than out door air, I think if these particle counters are going to be relied upon the same way canaries were used in coal mines we need to take a honest look at these devices. One thing is that a representative of a high grade measurement company said that their expensive lab grade calibrated particle counter is not recommended to be used in an environment that has artificial air movement since it may yield unreliable results.

I would really like to encourage maximum feedback on this since I believe this will effect everyone's future. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Have a look here:
To give perspective, the ambient air outside in a typical urban environment contains 35,000,000 particles per cubic meter in the size range 0.5 μm and larger in diameter, corresponding to an ISO 9 cleanroom, while an ISO 1 cleanroom allows no particles in that size range and only 12 particles per cubic meter of 0.3 μm and smaller.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleanroom

What is the make and model of the air purifier?

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Have a look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleanroom

What is the make and model of the air purifier?
Hi thanks, I have 2 one blueair 403 and an IQair.

I did review these specs but still just trying get a better understanding of this concentration question.

1. What is the importance of knowing the number of 0.3 micron particles in 0.1L volume of room air?

The number of 0.3 micron particles in a given volume of air is an important factor in determining the air quality and potential health hazards. These particles can carry pollutants, allergens, and pathogens that can affect human health.

2. How are 0.3 micron particles measured in room air?

0.3 micron particles are typically measured using a device called a particle counter. This instrument uses laser technology to count and size particles in a given volume of air. The results are usually reported in particles per cubic meter (p/m3).

3. What is the average number of 0.3 micron particles found in 0.1L volume of room air?

The average number of 0.3 micron particles in 0.1L volume of room air can vary depending on the location and level of pollution in the environment. However, studies have shown that indoor air typically contains around 100,000 to 1 million particles per cubic meter (p/m3) of air.

4. How do 0.3 micron particles affect human health?

0.3 micron particles can penetrate deep into the lungs and potentially cause respiratory problems in humans. They can also carry harmful substances such as chemicals, bacteria, and viruses, which can lead to various health issues.

5. How can the number of 0.3 micron particles in room air be reduced?

Regular cleaning and maintenance of indoor spaces can help reduce the number of 0.3 micron particles in the air. Additionally, using air purifiers or ventilation systems can also help improve air quality by filtering out these particles.