Photons and speed

by The_Original5
Tags: accelarations, light, photon, speed, waves
The_Original5
Feb7-11, 03:34 PM
P: 6
I was in math class today as we were learning about sine waves and frequency, and i kinda related it to light. Then I started thinking about the speed of the photon in the wave, and if the photon moves in the wave at the speed of light at different frequency's then would one particle reach a certain point on the x axis (lets say 5) first? Another way to put it, since the particle follows a path on a sine wave, if the frequency is increased then the particle should need to cover more distance on the wave then a particle in a lower frequency. So what i kind of concluded was that if the light particle moved at the same speed in different frequency's, then the particle with a lower frequency would reach (5,0) on a graph at a faster time then the particle with a higher frequency. Meaning if you had radio waves as a particle with low frequency and a UV wave as particle with high frequency then the waves would reach a certain point at different point in time. Then i kinda thought that was pretty crazy, light reaching points at different time, its light it should reach it at the same time, but it seems even more crazy if it reached it at the same time because on particle would go faster than the other, and that wouldn't make sense either. So I ask you forum How does a particle of light move in a wave.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
ZapperZ
Feb7-11, 03:41 PM
Mentor
P: 28,776
Er.. photons do NOT move along a path of the sine wave!

The vertical axis can be either the E-field or the B-field of light. They are orthorgonal to each other and to the direction of motion of light. So what is oscillating like a "sine" wave are these E and B fields.

Zz.
The_Original5
Feb7-11, 04:11 PM
So light doesn't move in a waves?

ZapperZ
Feb7-11, 04:51 PM
Mentor
P: 28,776

Photons and speed

Quote Quote by The_Original5 View Post
So light doesn't move in a waves?
Nope! Light moves in "straight lines" per your optics classes. What is "waving" is a property that it carries, such as the E and B field.

Zz.
The_Original5
Feb7-11, 05:02 PM
very interesting thank you, and here i thought i was all cool thinking i found something really cool. haha thank you for responding tho.

Register to reply