Why do we still say “the speed of light” instead of “c”?

In summary,The speed of light is not constant. When I say that, I’m talking about the speed of LIGHT. Not c. Cherenkov radiation is a result of particles moving through some material (usually water) faster than light does. The particles are moving faster than light in this scenario, but that doesn’t mean that they’re moving faster than c. Anything with mass will always move slower than c, but under certain circumstances can move faster than light.It just so happens that under certain circumstances, light can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, this is not always the case, and it is important to be aware of this when discussing c.
katakuri
I get it, it sounds cool. But it is a very misleading and sometimes confusing way to represent c.

The speed of light is not constant. When I say that, I’m talking about the speed of LIGHT. Not c. Cherenkov radiation is a result of particles moving through some material (usually water) faster than light does. The particles are moving faster than light in this scenario, but that doesn’t mean that they’re moving faster than c. Anything with mass will always move slower than c, but under certain circumstances can move faster than light.

It just so happens that light travels at c when in a vacuum. But so do x-rays, gamma rays, magnetic fields, gravitational waves, etc…

Physics news on Phys.org
"the speed of light in vacuum"
x-ray and gamma rays are light
"magnetic fields"
light is electromagnetic wave.

Well we could say that ligth in vacuum travels with the speed of gravitational waves! That would sound dope!

katakuri said:
Anything with mass will always move slower than c, but under certain circumstances can move faster than light.
This isn't a universally true statement. For instance, in a rotating reference frame distant objects may move very much faster than c, but slower than light.

A better naming would be "the invariant speed", or even better would be "null path". However, although those would better address the issue that you are raising, they would be unfamiliar to many people. So there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

Likes malawi_glenn
katakuri said:
I get it, it sounds cool. But it is a very misleading and sometimes confusing way to represent c.
##c## is the speed of light (electromagnetic radiation) in a vacuum.
katakuri said:
The speed of light is not constant.
The important thing about ##c## is that it is the invariant speed in Special Relativity. That means the speed of light in vacuum is measured to be the same in all inertial reference frames.

Likes pinball1970
katakuri said:

The speed of light is not constant. When I say that, I’m talking about the speed of LIGHT. Not c. Cherenkov radiation is a result of particles moving through some material (usually water) faster than light does. The particles are moving faster than light in this scenario, but that doesn’t mean that they’re moving faster than c. Anything with mass will always move slower than c, but under certain circumstances can move faster than light.

It just so happens that light travels at c when in a vacuum. But so do x-rays, gamma rays, magnetic fields, gravitational waves, etc…
In a medium light is effectively slowed as it is absorbed and remitted by atoms but in the vacuum between interactions it travels at ##c##. So when light is light, it travels at ##c##. This is how I have always interpreted it but if it is wrong please correct me.

bob012345 said:
In a medium light is effectively slowed as it is absorbed and remitted by atoms ...
That's the wrong picture. When light travels through a medium like water or glass, it appears to slow down. The apparent "slower speed" is the result of the superposition of two radiative electric fields: the incoming light, traveling at speed ##c##, and the light re-radiated by the atoms in the medium (oscillating charges driven by the incoming light) in the forward direction, traveling at speed ##c##, too. The superposition merely shifts the phase of the resulting radiation in a way that would occur as if the light were to go slower than ##c## in medium.

To understand how the apparent or effective speed of light in media comes about, I recommend to read chapter 31 “The Origin of the Refractive Index” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I". On Bruce Sherwood’s homepage (https://brucesherwood.net/) you find an article “Refraction and the speed of light” dealing with this question, too.

Last edited:
Likes protonsarecool, Delta2, bob012345 and 2 others
katakuri said:
It just so happens that light travels at c when in a vacuum. But so do x-rays, gamma rays,
Yes, because those are all the same thing ... electromagnetic radiation. What we call "light" is just that portion of the EM spectrum that is directly visible to humans.

bob012345 said:
In a medium light is effectively slowed as it is absorbed and remitted by atoms but in the vacuum between interactions it travels at ##c##. So when light is light, it travels at ##c##. This is how I have always interpreted it but if it is wrong please correct me.
If that was happening then the light would be scattered by all those collisions. Like a pinball machine.

Lord Jestocost said:
That's the wrong picture. When light travels through a medium like water or glass, it appears to slow down. The apparent "slower speed" is the result of the superposition of two radiative electric fields: the incoming light, traveling at speed ##c##, and the light re-radiated by the atoms in the medium (oscillating charges driven by the incoming light) in the forward direction, traveling at speed ##c##, too. The superposition merely shifts the phase of the resulting radiation in a way that would occur as if the light were to go slower than ##c## in medium.

To understand how the apparent or effective speed of light in media comes about, I recommend to read chapter 31 “The Origin of the Refractive Index” in “The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I". On Bruce Sherwood’s homepage (https://brucesherwood.net/) you find an article “Refraction and the speed of light” dealing with this question, too.
So, the correct answer is light is not slowed by a medium, it only appears like it is.

Last edited:
Thread closed briefly for Moderation...

Thread reopened. Thanks for your patience.

It's indeed true that the statement that the speed of light in vacuo is identical with the "limiting speed" of relativity is an empirical fact. It boils down to the measurement of the photon mass. This is possible with very high precision and the current upper limit is ##10^{-18} \; \text{MeV}/c^2##.

• Informative
Likes bob012345 and Delta2

1. Why is the speed of light still referred to as "the speed of light" instead of just using "c"?

While "c" is the symbol used to represent the speed of light in scientific equations, it is still commonly referred to as "the speed of light" because it is a more familiar and recognizable term for the general public. Additionally, using "c" in everyday language may cause confusion for those who are not familiar with scientific notation.

2. Is there a historical reason for using "the speed of light" instead of just "c"?

Yes, the term "the speed of light" has been in use for centuries, dating back to the early 17th century when it was first measured by scientists. It has become a widely accepted term in scientific literature and is still used today out of tradition and familiarity.

3. Can "the speed of light" and "c" be used interchangeably?

Yes, "the speed of light" and "c" both refer to the same physical constant, which is the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. In scientific equations, "c" is often used as a shorthand for the speed of light, but in everyday language, "the speed of light" is still the more commonly used term.

4. Are there any other terms used to describe the speed of light?

Yes, there are other terms used to describe the speed of light, such as "light speed" and "velocity of light." These terms are all interchangeable and refer to the same physical constant, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

5. Will "the speed of light" ever be replaced by "c" in everyday language?

It is unlikely that "the speed of light" will be replaced by "c" in everyday language, as it is a widely recognized and understood term. However, in scientific literature and discussions, "c" is often used as a shorthand for the speed of light to make equations and concepts more concise.