Astrophotography photos

by Phobos
Tags: astrophotography, photos
Borek
Jan16-11, 02:40 PM
Admin
P: 22,665
Just realized I posted my pictures of Janury 4th eclipse in a separate thread - somehow I missed astrophotography sticky:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=460858
Chronos
Feb22-11, 10:57 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,178
Nice shoot, Russ. The limb darkening is striking. Is this a result of image processing? Is this a single shot, or stacked? I would probably need half a dozen stacked images to get one this bright using my Meade 8" ACF. I should probably try using my 'big' 10" SN scope, but, the little SC is easier to set up - no tube wrestling, counter weights, or polar alignment to mess with. I like bells and whistles when it's 10 degrees outside.
russ_watters
Feb22-11, 11:09 PM
Mentor
P: 21,998
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Nice shoot, Russ. The limb darkening is striking. Is this a result of image processing? Is this a single shot, or stacked? I would probably need half a dozen stacked images to get one this bright using my Meade 8" ACF. I should probably try using my 'big' 10" SN scope, but, the little SC is easier to set up - no tube wrestling, counter weights, or polar alignment to mess with. I like bells and whistles when it's 10 degrees outside.
You're talking about my Jupiter pic? It's something like 1500 stacked of each color for Jupiter, 200 each color for the moons, at different exposures. I've used Photoshop for overall brightness and contrast, but the gradient towards the limb is real. The outer planets don't have full phases like the inner ones, but unless it is exactly at opposition, one side will be a little darker than the other.

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get it bright, though, it's just a matter of exposure and Jupiter is pretty bright. You should be able to get pictures with you 8" pretty close to what I've done. I'm shooting around 1/30th sec exposures.
DLuckyE
Apr2-11, 04:55 PM
P: 44
I took this one a while back

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doggettx/5264801104/

I tried it as a single shot at first but couldn't get detail on both the moon and Jupiter at the same time, so did 2 shots and combined them.
Redbelly98
Apr2-11, 06:36 PM
Mentor
P: 11,984
Quote Quote by DLuckyE View Post

I tried it as a single shot at first but couldn't get detail on both the moon and Jupiter at the same time, so did 2 shots and combined them.
Nice! Any idea what the faint spot is, to the right of Jupiter and slightly out of the plane of the moons' orbits? (Easier to see in the full-size photo.)
DLuckyE
Apr3-11, 02:14 AM
P: 44
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
Nice! Any idea what the faint spot is, to the right of Jupiter and slightly out of the plane of the moons' orbits? (Easier to see in the full-size photo.)
I'm not sure, but I think that's Io
Drakkith
Apr15-11, 08:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,011
Wow, this thread has been here for 4 1/2 years! I started to read the 1st page before I realized the date, and what got me to realize it was so old was Turbo saying how expensive CCD's were lol.
HeLiXe
Apr24-11, 02:09 AM
P: 404
Quote Quote by DLuckyE View Post

This is really nice :)
Chronos
Jul10-11, 01:17 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,178
I recently purchased a canon T1i [500D] for astrophotography. The meade pro III ccd was disappointing. The sensor is just too small to yield a useful FOV. I hope it may still prove useful for autoguiding.
Drakkith
Jul10-11, 01:20 AM
PF Gold
I've been itching for another CCD or something myself. I'll probably wait until I can get better with my Meade DSI II before I get something else though. Even if it is a huge pain in the butt most of the time.
HeLiXe
Jul10-11, 08:35 AM
P: 404
I do not even own a telescope -_- I do look at the sky quite often, and since I have moved light pollution is very minimal. I need to get a telescope before the beginning of next year but am still researching which one to get. Lovely pictures on this thread :) one day I will be adding some of my own.
Drakkith
Jul10-11, 04:36 PM
PF Gold
You can get a 5-6 inch scope for pretty cheap. 100-200 bucks for a good deal, depending on what you want on it.
Shovel
Aug13-11, 05:49 PM
P: 21
Does anyone know where I can find data on meteor rates for various meteor showers? I was out last night with my T1i and tripod and managed to capture one. My shots are a little lacking though, and I spent a lot of time fiddling with my camera instead of watching the sky. I'd like to try again with some new settings and connect my laptop to the camera for automation, but I want to include some sweet, sweet math into the mix.

What I'm looking for is any data regarding the distribution of meteors in the sky by date, so I know roughly how many to expect given my view of the sky and I know when to stop looking. Any compiled data regarding the statistics of meteor distribution would be awesome.
sas3
Nov8-11, 11:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 201
Just trying out setting on my camera and caught a plane and a meteor and thought I would share it. 30 second exposure F3 cheap GE 14.1 meg pix camera.
It's a nice camera the cheap part was the price.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6955535...n/photostream/
Drakkith
Nov8-11, 05:37 PM
PF Gold
Nice! I don't even have a camera with adjustable exposure other than the one specifically for my telescope.
Redbelly98
Nov8-11, 10:51 PM
Mentor
P: 11,984
Quote Quote by sas3 View Post
Just trying out setting on my camera and caught a plane and a meteor and thought I would share it. 30 second exposure F3 cheap GE 14.1 meg pix camera.
It's a nice camera the cheap part was the price.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6955535...n/photostream/
As Drakkith said ... nice! Even without the meteor.

I'm not spotting the plane, where is it?
sas3
Nov8-11, 11:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 201
The plane is the bright streak the meteor is to the right and much dimmer heading into the trees
russ_watters
Nov13-11, 02:37 PM
Mentor
P: 21,998
Haven't done much lately, but here's a shot of Jupiter last week, with Io passing in front of it. I took a dozen sets and the quality was inconsistent, but this is one of the better ones. I'm still working on processing and will probably put together an animation of most of the transit.
Attached Thumbnails
Jupiter-Io-11-5-11--2138.jpg  

Register to reply