Increase Laser Power out of fiber optic

by roadrunner123
Tags: fiber optic, laser, power
roadrunner123
Mar10-11, 03:24 PM
P: 4
I am working on a project and am combining three laser beams in an effort to make artificial white light out of the end of the fiber. It is currently producing about 1 mw of power. How could I increase the power out of the end of the optical fiber?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
Gordianus
Mar10-11, 03:50 PM
P: 217
Could you please give us more information? Some drawings or schematics?
roadrunner123
Mar10-11, 04:06 PM
P: 4
Here is a rough sketch. The ellipses the lasers are going through represent prisms. The thicker line where the lasers (green, blue, yellow) meet represents the optical fiber. I thought about placing a lens of some sort between the second prism and the optical fiber to focus the light more but not sure if that will increase the power a significant amount.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  

Claude Bile
Mar12-11, 09:39 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,465

Increase Laser Power out of fiber optic

I would try making your red/green/blue beams colinear before focusing them into the end of a fiber. I've found that a good 20x objective works best for standard single-mode telecom fibre; a lower mag objective can be used if the fibre is multimode.

Claude.

Register to reply