Help Needed for Lens Selection for Fiber optics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a fiber optic cable to propagate LED light and the need for a lens to convert it into a collimated beam for fluorescence application. The question of which type of lens would work best, either Plano convex or Double convex, is raised and the suggestion is made to do research on the topic.
EBINESH
I am using a fiber optic cable through which led light propogate, fiber's half acceptance agle is 30 degree. I want to make the light (diverging)comes out of fiber into collimated beam and this collimated beam will pass through filters, sample and will be used for Fluoroscence application. hope you got the instrumentation set up. Which type of lens would best work for this application. Either Plano convex or Double convex , aspheric ! Please help me to find the best solution.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Google can be your friend here. Try googling "lenses for fibre optic coupling". I got many interesting hits. Come back to PF with a bit of knowledge gained and you will get much more useful help from us.

1. What factors should I consider when selecting a lens for fiber optics?

When selecting a lens for fiber optics, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the wavelength of light you will be using, the numerical aperture of the fiber, the desired beam diameter, and the working distance of the lens.

2. How do I determine the appropriate focal length for my lens?

The focal length of your lens should be chosen based on the desired beam diameter and working distance. A longer focal length will result in a smaller beam diameter and a shorter working distance, while a shorter focal length will result in a larger beam diameter and a longer working distance.

3. Can I use any type of lens with fiber optics?

No, not all lenses are suitable for use with fiber optics. It is important to choose a lens that is specifically designed for use with fiber optics, as these lenses have a smaller back focal length and can better focus the light into the fiber.

4. What is the difference between a collimating lens and a focusing lens for fiber optics?

A collimating lens is used to convert a diverging beam of light into a parallel beam, while a focusing lens is used to focus a parallel beam of light onto a specific point. In fiber optics, a collimating lens is typically used to couple light into the fiber, while a focusing lens is used to direct the light out of the fiber.

5. Are there any special considerations for using lenses with single-mode fiber?

Yes, when using lenses with single-mode fiber, it is important to choose a lens with a smaller back focal length and a larger numerical aperture. This will help to minimize the loss of light at the fiber interface and improve the efficiency of light coupling into the fiber.