Register to reply

A day with no darkness?

by moonman239
Tags: darkness
Share this thread:
Algr
Dec23-10, 03:34 PM
P: 152
Darkside: Imagine an ordinary bar magnet sitting on a table. It has magnetic north and south poles. But it isn't moving or rotating so it has nothing like a geographical pole.

If you pick up the magnet, you can rotate it any way you like. If you throw it in the air, you can make it spin until you catch it. You could spin it in a few different ways, and the center of the rotation would be the "geographic pole". The magnetism of the bar would have no effect on how you could spin the bar. (Unless your hands are made of metal or something.)
A_Sabra
Dec25-10, 08:59 AM
P: 1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just say Jesus was born in the Americas?
JaredJames
Dec25-10, 09:33 AM
P: 3,387
Quote Quote by A_Sabra View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just say Jesus was born in the Americas?
No, he didn't. Without directly quoting, it was along the lines of "when there's a day without darkness, Jesus will be born". I suppose it could be taken as "the next saviour will be born in the Americas".

Location is the least of the problems with that story.
Algr
Dec28-10, 03:14 AM
P: 152
I don't think there is anything that could cause JUST one day to pass with no night. The closest thing would be a near-earth supernova. But they last several months, not just one night. This has happened a few times in recorded history, to no real effect on Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1054
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1181
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1572

The eleventh century must have been one hell of a time to be an astrologer!
Sam Nanti
Mar27-11, 05:28 PM
P: 2
Could a massive solar flare cause enough light to be shown that it wouldn't be dark at night?
JaredJames
Mar27-11, 05:32 PM
Quote Quote by Sam Nanti View Post
Could a massive solar flare cause enough light to be shown that it wouldn't be dark at night?
Bluntly, no.

The reason we get night is because the Earth is blocking the light from the sun (we're on the opposite side from the light).

The only way for something like that to happen is for something to reflect the light back at us (like the moon does).
Sam Nanti
Mar27-11, 05:36 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
The only way for something like that to happen is for something to reflect the light back at us (like the moon does).
Which rules out a massive asteroid or meteoroid passing close enough to reflect back light for so that long of time, I guess, too.
JaredJames
Mar27-11, 05:41 PM
Quote Quote by Sam Nanti View Post
Which rules out a massive asteroid or meteoroid passing close enough to reflect back light for so that long of time, I guess, too.
Well we've all seen the effect a full moon reflecting a lot of light can have - a rather bright night, but nothing close to day.

If there's something that close to match the moons brightness, I assure you that extra light is the least of our worries!
Chronos
Mar30-11, 02:46 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,359
Why assume this is a literal account? Sounds allegorical to me. Parables were a staple of sayings attributed to jesus. The bible is not a reknowned source of scientific knowledge.
Jjjxy
Mar30-11, 03:28 AM
P: 6
Your 'scripture and science' is like 'matter and energy' I guess. One may FEEL the other but not when positions are reversed.
JaredJames
Mar30-11, 07:22 AM
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Why assume this is a literal account? Sounds allegorical to me. Parables were a staple of sayings attributed to jesus. The bible is not a reknowned source of scientific knowledge.
Agreed, but there's also a difference between being a parable and just fiction.
Quote Quote by Jjjxy View Post
Your 'scripture and science' is like 'matter and energy' I guess. One may FEEL the other but not when positions are reversed.
I don't understand this. What does it have to do with the OP?
moonman239
Apr19-11, 09:53 AM
P: 300
Hey guys,

Please pardon the bump. I do have one thing to add: The Americas did, according to my book of scripture, witness a sunset. But even after the sunset, it was as bright as day all throughout the night and the next day.
moonman239
Apr19-11, 09:57 AM
P: 300
Quote Quote by jarednjames View Post
I suppose it could be taken as "the next saviour will be born in the Americas".
Nope, it's the same guy.

Register to reply