Measuring the Effects of Dark Energy on Bound Objects: An Experimental Study

In summary, the speaker is considering modifying force equations to include dark energy in an essay on physics, believing that it also affects objects in daily life. They mention a previous experiment that would need to be discarded in order to do so. When asked about how to measure the force of dark energy, the speaker compares it to an ant pushing on a house and states that it does not cause bound objects to move apart. The other person questions this and the speaker wonders if there have been any experiments on the matter.
DLeuPel
I’m thinking about modifying some force related equations to include dark energy in them for an essay on physics. My reasoning is that if it can separate galaxies the objects in our day to day lives must also have a small tendency to move apart. To do so, I have to dispose of an already done experiment on this matter. As there been any experiments regarding the measurement of dark energy between two objects ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean? In laboratory conditions?

Suppose you did an experiment, and measured a net force between two objects. How would you know what component of that force was due to dark energy?

DLeuPel said:
I’m thinking about modifying some force related equations to include dark energy in them for an essay on physics. My reasoning is that if it can separate galaxies the objects in our day to day lives must also have a small tendency to move apart.
That is a common misconception, but it's like an ant pushing on a house. The ant just doesn't move the house. At all. Period. Likewise, dark energy does not cause bound objects to move apart.

Likes m4r35n357
phinds said:
That is a common misconception, but it's like an ant pushing on a house. The ant just doesn't move the house. At all. Period. Likewise, dark energy does not cause bound objects to move apart.
If a person attempts to move a heavy object, he will have to exert less force if an ant is pushing it than if it’s not. Therefore, if the ant represents dark energy, what’s the force that the person has to exert on the object? That is what I would like to know, if someone has already done an experiment regarding that matter.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy content of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

2. How do scientists study dark energy?

Scientists study dark energy through various experiments and observations, including measuring the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, studying the large-scale structure of the universe, and using data from the cosmic microwave background radiation.

3. What are the goals of experiments on dark energy?

The main goals of experiments on dark energy are to better understand the nature and properties of dark energy, and to determine its role in the evolution and fate of the universe.

4. What are some current experiments on dark energy?

Some current experiments on dark energy include the Dark Energy Survey, the Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument, and the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope. These experiments use different methods to gather data and study the effects of dark energy on the universe.

5. What have experiments on dark energy revealed so far?

Experiments on dark energy have revealed that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, rather than slowing down as previously thought. They have also provided evidence for the existence of dark energy and have placed constraints on its properties, such as its density and equation of state.