[help] about electron-ion collision

by ada_ada_2002
Tags: particle collisions
Share this thread:
ada_ada_2002
May12-11, 03:55 AM
P: 16
Hi there.
What happens during the electron -ion collision when the velocity of ion is higher than that of electrons? How the energy transports? Can ionization happens?
Thank you so much!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
MisterX
May12-11, 08:12 PM
P: 578
I know that bombarding ions with electrons with sufficient energy can result in ionization. The collisions may tend to strip atoms of their electrons.
Drakkith
May13-11, 12:58 AM
Mentor
P: 11,508
Quote Quote by ada_ada_2002 View Post
Hi there.
What happens during the electron -ion collision when the velocity of ion is higher than that of electrons? How the energy transports? Can ionization happens?
Thank you so much!
There is no difference between an ion travelling at high velocities compared to an electron and vice versa. Both the electron and the ion could be "seen" to be stationary in relation to the other.

ada_ada_2002
May13-11, 05:32 AM
[help] about electron-ion collision

Thank you!
One thing I don't understand is: in this condition, the energy of ion is much much higher than that of electron, how can ion gain more energy? (ionization means ion's energy increases, right?)
Drakkith
May13-11, 06:20 PM
Mentor
Thank you!
One thing I don't understand is: in this condition, the energy of ion is much much higher than that of electron, how can ion gain more energy? (ionization means ion's energy increases, right?)
Ionization means that an atom will lose or gain 1 or more electrons and go from a neutral atom to a charged one, either positive or negative charge.
A highly energetic Ion colliding with a static electron could cause further electrons to be lost from the Ion, increasing it's positive charge even further. However I think it is usually the opposite case where an electron collides with an atom or ion and causes ionization.
ada_ada_2002
May25-11, 12:24 AM
Thank you, Drakkith. I will think about it. I can imagine the picture, I am just not clear about the energy flow/transport in this process.
Drakkith
May25-11, 12:41 AM
Mentor
Thank you, Drakkith. I will think about it. I can imagine the picture, I am just not clear about the energy flow/transport in this process.
From your frame the electron gains energy from the ion, and if ionization occurs then it uses the kinetic energy of the ion as well.

Register to reply