Electrons colliding with gas molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electron velocity and collisions in an electron tube. One person is unsure about the influence of electron velocity in the presence of an electric field, while the other suggests that collisions with gas molecules may need to be less frequent for electrons to acquire more energy. This is related to calculating "bremsstrahlung" radiation, where the energy transmitted per collision is proportional to the electron's energy.
PORFIRIO I
My concern is an electron tube.

From what I understood so far, gas molecules will have an average velocity derived from the Maxwell distribution, and that velocity will influence in the electron collision frequency.

I can't see clearly though how the electron velocity itself in the presence of an electric field will influence the collisions, are there equations describing this specifically?

Maybe the electrons need collisions with the gas to be less frequent so they can acquire more energy while traveling across the tube. When the have enough energy, they will collide more violentlly. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
PORFIRIO I said:
From what I understood so far, gas molecules will have an average velocity derived from the Maxwell distribution, and that velocity will influence in the electron collision frequency.
I can't see clearly though how the electron velocity itself in the presence of an electric field will influence the collisions, are there equations describing this specifically?
Maybe the electrons need collisions with the gas to be less frequent so they can acquire more energy while traveling across the tube. When the have enough energy, they will collide more violentlly. Is this correct?
This question is related to "bremsstrahlung" radiation calculations. For low-speed electrons, the energy transmitted per "collision" is roughly proportional to energy of electron, with energy of colliding molecules/atoms negligible unless you are in the temperature range of tens thousands degrees or more.

Likes PORFIRIO I

What is the significance of electrons colliding with gas molecules?

Electrons colliding with gas molecules is an important phenomenon in various areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and environmental studies. This interaction plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of gases, as well as in processes such as chemical reactions and energy transfer.

How do electrons collide with gas molecules?

Electrons can collide with gas molecules in a variety of ways, depending on the specific conditions and properties of the gas. In general, these collisions occur due to the random thermal motion of the gas molecules, which causes them to collide with each other and with other particles in their surroundings, including electrons.

What happens when electrons collide with gas molecules?

When electrons collide with gas molecules, several things can happen. In some cases, the electron may simply bounce off the molecule and continue on its path. In other cases, the collision may result in the transfer of energy between the electron and the molecule, leading to changes in the molecule's state or properties. In some cases, the collision may even result in the formation of new molecules or chemical reactions.

What factors affect the frequency of collisions between electrons and gas molecules?

The frequency of collisions between electrons and gas molecules can be influenced by several factors, including the temperature and pressure of the gas, the number and types of gas molecules present, and the presence of other particles or fields that may affect the motion of the electrons and molecules.

What are some real-world applications of electron-gas collisions?

Electron-gas collisions have numerous practical applications in various fields, including gas sensing and detection, plasma physics, and materials processing. For example, the interactions between electrons and gas molecules are used in gas sensors to detect and measure the concentration of certain gases in the environment. In plasma physics, electron-gas collisions play a key role in the generation and maintenance of plasma, which has important applications in fields such as energy production and materials processing.