Semiconductor quatum well find band gap question

In summary, the band gap for the quantum well structure is equal to the band gap of the GaAs layer minus the total kinetic energy of the heavy hole.
brocq_18
Hiya, been given this question which I am having problems with.

Semi conductor quantum well structure contains a 100A thick layer of GaAs between thick AlGaAs layers. Find the band gap for the structure, where GaAs has the following parameters; conduction band effective mass 0.067 me, heavy hole mass 0.45me, band gap 1.519 eV. Assume conduction and valence bands offset at the GaAs/AlGaAs interfaces are infinite.

I have gotten that electron energy at the lowest level of conduction band is =Ec+(hbar(2)k(2))/2m0me. How do i progress from here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in advanceThe band gap for the structure can be found by subtracting the energy at the lowest level of the conduction band from the energy at the highest level of the valence band. Since you know the electron energy at the lowest level of the conduction band, you just need to find the energy at the highest level of the valence band. This can be done using the effective mass and band gap of the GaAs layer.The energy at the highest level of the valence band is equal to the band gap of the GaAs layer minus the total kinetic energy of the heavy hole:E_v = (1.519 eV) - (hbar^2 * k^2) / (2 * m_hh)where k is the wave vector of the heavy hole and m_hh is the effective mass of the heavy hole.Subtracting E_c from E_v gives the band gap of the quantum well structure:Band Gap = E_v - E_c = (1.519 eV) - (hbar^2 * k^2) / (2 * m_hh) - E_c

What is a semiconductor quantum well?

A semiconductor quantum well is a thin layer of semiconductor material, typically around 10 nanometers thick, that is sandwiched between two layers of a different semiconductor material. This creates a structure with a lower band gap, or energy difference between the valence and conduction bands, compared to the surrounding materials.

How is the band gap determined in a semiconductor quantum well?

The band gap in a semiconductor quantum well is determined by the thickness of the well layer. As the thickness decreases, the energy levels of the electrons become confined within the well, resulting in a lower band gap.

What is the significance of the band gap in a semiconductor quantum well?

The band gap in a semiconductor quantum well is important because it affects the electronic and optical properties of the material. A lower band gap allows for the absorption of a wider range of wavelengths of light, making it useful for optoelectronic devices such as lasers and solar cells.

How does the band gap in a semiconductor quantum well compare to bulk semiconductors?

The band gap in a semiconductor quantum well is typically smaller than in bulk semiconductors. This is due to the quantum confinement effect, which occurs when the dimensions of a material are on the same scale as the wavelength of the particles within it. In a bulk semiconductor, the energy levels are not confined, resulting in a larger band gap.

What are some potential applications of semiconductor quantum wells?

Semiconductor quantum wells have a variety of applications in optoelectronic devices, such as LEDs, lasers, and solar cells. They are also used in quantum computing and in the production of high-speed transistors for electronic devices.