Band structure after compensation doping

In summary, compensation doping is a predominant technique used in semiconductor manufacturing where initially P-type materials are doped with N-type impurities to create N-type semiconductors. However, the energy band diagrams for this process are not clearly explained and there are mentions that the acceptor and donor atoms neutralize each other. This results in a mish-mash of "neither p nor n type" silicon, which can be confusing for electronic engineers. The significance of arrows in the energy band diagram is not fully understood, but in the example cited in the lecture, the addition of more acceptor levels causes a larger density of states for the acceptor level, promoting more electrons from the valence band and turning the material from n-type to p
majormajor
As an electronic engineer I am not an expert on semiconductor physics but I think I understand the basics of energy band diagrams reasonably well. It all fits together fairly neatly with the normal textbook assumption that we are looking at pure N-type or P-type doping. The problem I have is when they then mention that actually the semiconductor manufacturing process uses predominantly compensation doping, so they might start with a P-type material and then add N-type doping until the material ends up N-type. How exactly this looks on the energy band diagrams is glossed over. There are some fleeting mentions that "oh by the way, the acceptor and donor atoms will neutralize each other".

For example, here's a link from

http://www.doe.carleton.ca/~smcgarry/ELEC3908/Slides/ELEC3908_Lect_3.pdf

Showing the band diagram below for compensation doping:

upload_2016-10-20_10-31-2.png

Perhaps I am missing something here but I am baffled as to how the electrons sitting at energy levels very close to the conduction band will now all of a sudden happily fall into the band just above the valence band - especially as the whole story starts with the statement that at room temperature very few electrons have the energy to bridge the 1.1 eV gap for silicon.

To me the logical thing for me to end up with just a mish-mash of "neither p nor n type" silicon, rather then being able to make a usable N-type when we start from P-type.

I would appreciate it if somebody could explain this to me at a qualitative level. If that's at all possible.

majormajor said:
As an electronic engineer I am not an expert on semiconductor physics but I think I understand the basics of energy band diagrams reasonably well. It all fits together fairly neatly with the normal textbook assumption that we are looking at pure N-type or P-type doping. The problem I have is when they then mention that actually the semiconductor manufacturing process uses predominantly compensation doping, so they might start with a P-type material and then add N-type doping until the material ends up N-type. How exactly this looks on the energy band diagrams is glossed over. There are some fleeting mentions that "oh by the way, the acceptor and donor atoms will neutralize each other".

For example, here's a link from

http://www.doe.carleton.ca/~smcgarry/ELEC3908/Slides/ELEC3908_Lect_3.pdf

Showing the band diagram below for compensation doping:

View attachment 107752

Perhaps I am missing something here but I am baffled as to how the electrons sitting at energy levels very close to the conduction band will now all of a sudden happily fall into the band just above the valence band - especially as the whole story starts with the statement that at room temperature very few electrons have the energy to bridge the 1.1 eV gap for silicon.

To me the logical thing for me to end up with just a mish-mash of "neither p nor n type" silicon, rather then being able to make a usable N-type when we start from P-type.

I would appreciate it if somebody could explain this to me at a qualitative level. If that's at all possible.

I don't quite understand the significance of the "arrows" in the diagram. But for the example you cited in the lecture, it is simply the addition of MORE acceptor levels to the original n-type semiconductor to the extent that the density of states of the the acceptor level is larger than the density of states of the donor level. Since there are more acceptor states, more electrons from the valence band will be promoted to the acceptor level, leaving more holes behind. Thus, nA>nD, turning the material from a n-type semiconductor to a p-type semiconductor.

Zz.

1. What is band structure after compensation doping?

Band structure after compensation doping refers to the changes in the electronic band structure of a material after it has been doped with compensating impurities. This type of doping involves the addition of both donor and acceptor impurities in equal amounts, resulting in a balanced distribution of charge carriers in the material.

2. How does compensation doping affect the band structure of a material?

Compensation doping can have a significant impact on the band structure of a material. It can lead to the formation of impurity bands, which can introduce additional energy levels in the band structure. This can also result in changes in the density of states and the effective mass of charge carriers in the material.

3. What are the potential applications of band structure after compensation doping?

The band structure after compensation doping has several potential applications in the field of semiconductors. It can be used to tailor the electronic properties of a material, such as the bandgap, by controlling the concentration and type of impurities. This can be useful in the development of new electronic devices.

4. How is band structure after compensation doping experimentally measured?

Band structure after compensation doping can be experimentally measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy, transport measurements, and angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES). These methods can provide information about the energy levels, bandgap, and effective mass of charge carriers in the doped material.

5. What are the potential challenges in studying band structure after compensation doping?

One of the main challenges in studying band structure after compensation doping is the complex nature of the impurity interactions and their effects on the electronic properties of the material. It can also be difficult to accurately control the concentration and distribution of impurities in the material. Additionally, the interpretation of experimental data can be challenging due to the presence of multiple impurity bands and their effects on the band structure.