Quasi Fermi level and intrinsic Fermi energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of quasi fermi level and fermi energy in relation to intrinsic semiconductors at thermal equilibrium and under bias. The equations for calculating intrinsic fermi energy and fermi level are also mentioned. There is a question about whether quasi fermi levels exist in both intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors under bias.
yeyintkoko
Please explain me. I don't understand what is quasi fermi level f(E) and fermi energy Ef.
For example (GaAs) at the room temperature (T=300K)
Eg = 1.42 eV; (energy band gap)
mc = 0.067 me; (effective mass of electron in conduction band)
mv = 0.45 me; (effective mass of hole in valance band)
kT = 0.0259; (T=300K)
For intrinsic fermi Energy from the middle band gap can receive
using this equation
Ei = 3kT/4*ln(mv/mc);

Ei = 0.0369 eV; (intrinsic fermi Energy from the middle band gap)
Engery band gap Eg is 1.42 eV so middle band gap is 1.42/2 = 0.71 eV;
So intrinsic fermi Energy is
0.71 eV+0.0369 eV = 0.7469 eV.
Now i calculate for fermi level
using this equation
f(E) = 1/(exp(E-Ef/kT)+1);
E is the Eg? I calculate where E is value of Eg.
received
f(E) = 4.925 x 10-12;
This is right?

And then i understand that only one fermi level in intrinsic semiconductor at the thermal equilibrium, no bias (voltage, EM radiation, light). When semiconductor is under bias, may be quasi fermi level(2 levels) in intrinsic semiconductor or this happen only in extrinsic semiconductor? Please explain me with above example.
I need your help.
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
yeyintkoko said:
Please explain me. I don't understand what is quasi fermi level f(E) and fermi energy Ef.
For example (GaAs) at the room temperature (T=300K)
Eg = 1.42 eV; (energy band gap)
mc = 0.067 me; (effective mass of electron in conduction band)
mv = 0.45 me; (effective mass of hole in valance band)
kT = 0.0259; (T=300K)
For intrinsic fermi Energy from the middle band gap can receive
using this equation
Ei = 3kT/4*ln(mv/mc);

Ei = 0.0369 eV; (intrinsic fermi Energy from the middle band gap)
Engery band gap Eg is 1.42 eV so middle band gap is 1.42/2 = 0.71 eV;
So intrinsic fermi Energy is
0.71 eV+0.0369 eV = 0.7469 eV.
Now i calculate for fermi level
using this equation
f(E) = 1/(exp(E-Ef/kT)+1);
E is the Eg? I calculate where E is value of Eg.
received
f(E) = 4.925 x 10-12;
This is right?

And then i understand that only one fermi level in intrinsic semiconductor at the thermal equilibrium, no bias (voltage, EM radiation, light). When semiconductor is under bias, may be quasi fermi level(2 levels) in intrinsic semiconductor or this happen only in extrinsic semiconductor? Please explain me with above example.
I need your help.
Thanks a lot

Hi Yeyintoko,

Your question is very confusing. The fermi level @ T = 0 is the energy level @ which all the lowest energies states of the band(s) are filled. In other words, the semiconductor is in its ground state, and the fermi level/energy is the energy of the state with highest energy. Now, let's say you have a semiconductor, with a valence band and a conduction band. The quasi fermi level is the (erroneous but good approximation of slightly out of equilibrium semiconductors) where we try to extend the idea of fermi level to a semiconductor out of equilibrium. Note that all the stuff about fermi-dirac statistics assumes that the semiconductor is in statistical equilibrium (hence the course where you derive this distribution is call equilibrium statistical mechanics and not non-equilibrium statistical mechanics). We say, oh why not, let's say there's an electric potential qV that causes charges to move (no more equilibrium!), into the energy value of this equilibrium distribution.

Likes yeyintkoko
Hi paralleltransport,
Thanks for your answer
When semiconductor is no bias only one fermi level Ef in intrinsic semiconductor at the thermal equilibrium.
My question is
1.When semiconductor is under bias, may be quasi fermi level Efc and Efv in intrinsic semiconductor?

What is the difference between Quasi Fermi level and intrinsic Fermi energy?

The intrinsic Fermi energy is a characteristic value that represents the energy level at which the probability of finding an electron is equal to 50% in an ideal, pure semiconductor with no impurities or external energy sources. On the other hand, the Quasi Fermi level is an energy level that represents the average energy of electrons in a non-equilibrium state, such as in a semiconductor under external energy sources or with impurities present.

How are Quasi Fermi levels and intrinsic Fermi energy related?

The intrinsic Fermi energy can be used as a reference point to calculate the Quasi Fermi levels in a semiconductor. The difference between the Quasi Fermi levels and the intrinsic Fermi energy is known as the electrochemical potential, which represents the energy required to move an electron from the intrinsic Fermi level to the Quasi Fermi level.

What is the significance of Quasi Fermi levels in semiconductors?

Quasi Fermi levels play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of semiconductors. They are used to describe the distribution of electrons in a semiconductor under non-equilibrium conditions, which is essential for understanding the operation of electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells.

How do external factors affect the Quasi Fermi levels in a semiconductor?

The Quasi Fermi levels in a semiconductor can be affected by various external factors, such as temperature, impurities, and external energy sources. For example, an increase in temperature can cause the Quasi Fermi levels to shift towards the conduction band, indicating an increase in the number of free electrons.

Can Quasi Fermi levels be measured experimentally?

Yes, Quasi Fermi levels can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as capacitance-voltage measurements, Hall effect, and photoluminescence spectroscopy. These methods allow for the determination of the energy difference between the Quasi Fermi levels and the intrinsic Fermi energy, providing valuable information about the electronic properties of a semiconductor.