Tags: equation, formula, pell, recurrence
Share this thread:
basil
Jun14-11, 07:40 AM
P: 8
Hello,

I am trying to solve a Pell's equation

X2 + 2Y2 =1

I understand that the (3,2) is a fundamental solution to the equation. However, I am having difficulty to obtain the recurrence formula in order to generate further solutions. Can anybody help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
phinds
Jun14-11, 08:18 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,497
I don't know anything about this, but I do question how you can get (3,2) as a solution to x^2 + 2*y^2 = 1, since I get 3^2 + 2*2^2 = 17 which is most emphatically not 1. What am I missing?
RamaWolf
Jun14-11, 10:41 AM
P: 96
It works with: X^2 - 2*Y^2 = 1

disregardthat
Jun14-11, 12:45 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,810
Recurrence formula in Pell's equation

The equation is (x-sqrt(2)y)(x+sqrt(2)y) = 1. Now, your solution is (3,2), so (3-sqrt(2)2)(3+sqrt(2)2) = 1, and by multiplying we have 1 = (x-sqrt(2)y)(3-sqrt(2)2)(x+sqrt(2)y)(3+sqrt(2)2) = (3x+4y-(2x+3y)sqrt(2))(3x+4y+(2x+3y)sqrt(2)) = (3x+4y)^2-2(2x+3y)^2. Hence if we denote (3,2) by (x_0,y_0), you can define (x_{n+1},y_{n+1}) = (3x_n+4y_n,2x_n+3y_n), and thus (x_n,y_n) will be a solution for each n.

Now, we have found some solutions, but is this all? It is a good exercise to prove this.

Hint: (Suppose (x,y) is a solution not in the sequence defined above, and use the recurrence formula backwards to find the "least" positive solution. (a,b) is the "least" solution if a+b is minimal. Try to find a contradiction.)
basil
Jun16-11, 07:17 AM
Hey,

Yep its my mistake. Its supposed to be

x2-y2=1

Thanks for pointing out.
basil
Jun16-11, 07:18 AM
Quote Quote by disregardthat View Post
The equation is (x-sqrt(2)y)(x+sqrt(2)y) = 1. Now, your solution is (3,2), so (3-sqrt(2)2)(3+sqrt(2)2) = 1, and by multiplying we have 1 = (x-sqrt(2)y)(3-sqrt(2)2)(x+sqrt(2)y)(3+sqrt(2)2) = (3x+4y-(2x+3y)sqrt(2))(3x+4y+(2x+3y)sqrt(2)) = (3x+4y)^2-2(2x+3y)^2. Hence if we denote (3,2) by (x_0,y_0), you can define (x_{n+1},y_{n+1}) = (3x_n+4y_n,2x_n+3y_n), and thus (x_n,y_n) will be a solution for each n.

Now, we have found some solutions, but is this all? It is a good exercise to prove this.

Hint: (Suppose (x,y) is a solution not in the sequence defined above, and use the recurrence formula backwards to find the "least" positive solution. (a,b) is the "least" solution if a+b is minimal. Try to find a contradiction.)
Awesome. Thanks heaps.
RamaWolf
Jun19-11, 10:47 AM
P: 96
Let x[itex]_{1}[/itex], y[itex]_{1}[/itex] be basic solutions to

x^2-N*y^2 = 1, with N a non-square integer number

then we have the following recurrence relations for k>1:

x[itex]_{k+1}[/itex]:=x[itex]_{1}[/itex]*x[itex]_{k}[/itex]+N*y[itex]_{1}[/itex]*y[itex]_{k}[/itex]
y[itex]_{k+1}[/itex]:=x[itex]_{1}[/itex]*y[itex]_{k}[/itex]+y[itex]_{1}[/itex]*x[itex]_{k}[/itex]

For N=2, (2,3) being the basic solution, we have (17,12) as 2. and (99,70) as 3.solution

A trivial algorithm to find the basic solution could be:

y:=1, max:=999
Do While n < max
[itex]\cdots[/itex]Compute w=1+N*y^2
[itex]\cdots[/itex]If w is an integral square x^2 then
[itex]\cdots\cdots[/itex]Return "Basic solution: (x, y)" and Stop
[itex]\cdots[/itex]End_If
[itex]\cdots[/itex]Incr y
End_Do
Return max & " trials and no solution" and Stop

Because there are values of N, whrer this "Q&D"-algorithm fails,
who has experience with with non-trivial algorithms for basic solutions