How can the recurrence formula for a sequence be found?

In summary, the problem is to find a recurrence formula for the sequence (ai) = 1, sqrt3, sqrt(1+sqrt3), sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt2)) in terms of i and ai. The hint suggests investigating nested radicals and provides an example of how to write one in terms of itself. The conversation continues with discussing the elements of the sequence and how they are related to each other. The goal is to find a way to write an element in terms of the previous one, which will result in a recurrence formula.
Mathematicsss

Homework Statement

Find a recurrence formula for the sequence (ai) = 1, sqrt3, sqrt(1+sqrt3), sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt2)) in terms of i and ai

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea where to start, this is a bonus question, and I have learned how to solve these type of problems

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd investigate nested radicals as this was a favorite of Ramanujan.

As a hint,## x = \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1+ \sqrt{1 + ...}}} ## is basically the same as ## x = \sqrt{1 + x}##

jedishrfu said:
I'd investigate nested radicals as this was a favorite of Ramanujan.

As a hint,## x = \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1+ \sqrt{1 + ...}}} ## is basically the same as ## x = \sqrt{1 + x}##
That hasn't helped. Please explain.

Mathematicsss said:
(ai) = 1, sqrt3, sqrt(1+sqrt3), sqrt(1+sqrt(1+sqrt2))
Shouldn't the last one you listed be ##\sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt 3}}##?
Start by listing the elements of your sequence in an organized fashion, like so:
##a_0 = 1##
##a_1 = \sqrt 3##
##a_2 = \sqrt{1 + \sqrt 3}## What is ##a_2## in terms of ##a_1##?
##a_3 = \sqrt{1 + \sqrt{1 + \sqrt 3}}## What is ##a_3## in terms of ##a_2##?
Can you predict what ##a_4## is? If you can, you might be able to write ##a_n## in terms of ##a_{n - 1}##, which is what you need to do for this problem.

1. What is a recurrence formula?

A recurrence formula is a mathematical equation used to describe a sequence or pattern of numbers. It shows the relationship between one term in the sequence and the previous terms.

2. How is a recurrence formula different from a regular formula?

A regular formula is used to calculate a specific term in a sequence, while a recurrence formula is used to calculate any term in the sequence based on the previous terms.

3. How do you find a recurrence formula?

To find a recurrence formula, you need to analyze the pattern of the sequence and look for a relationship between each term and the previous terms. This can involve looking at the difference between terms, the ratio between terms, or any other unique pattern.

4. Why is it important to find a recurrence formula?

Finding a recurrence formula can help us better understand and predict the behavior of a sequence. It allows us to generalize the pattern and easily calculate any term in the sequence, rather than having to calculate each term individually.

5. Can a recurrence formula be used for any sequence?

Not all sequences can be described by a recurrence formula. Some sequences may be too complex or follow a random pattern. However, most commonly studied sequences in mathematics and science can be described by a recurrence formula.