Proving that a solution to a recurrence relation is true

In summary, to prove that a solution for a recurrence relation is correct, it is sufficient to plug it into the original recurrence relation or use induction. If there is no starting value given, both approaches are equivalent. However, if there is a starting value, proof by induction would be the only valid way to verify the solution. Additionally, there can be multiple solutions to a recurrence relation.
Mr Davis 97
I am a little confused about how we prove that a solution for a recurrence relation is correct. For example, say that I have the recurrence relation ##H_n = 2H_{n-1} +1##. Using an iterative process, we guess that the solution is ##2^n - 1##. Now, to prove that this is correct, it seems that it would be sufficient to just plug it into the original recurrence relation to see if everything checks out. However I have seen some sources that claim we also need to use induction on ##H_n = 2^n - 1## to verify that it is true. Why do I have to do both to prove that it is true? Why can't I just do the former or just do the latter?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Plugging it in is equivalent to the induction step.
If you have no starting value given, there is no need for the start of the induction, so both approaches are identical.

Hn = 2n-1 is not the only solution by the way.

mfb said:
Plugging it in is equivalent to the induction step.
If you have no starting value given, there is no need for the start of the induction, so both approaches are identical.

Hn = 2n-1 is not the only solution by the way.
What if I do have a starting value, ##H_1 = 1##? Would proof by induction be the only valid way in this case?

You would have to show that your solution also satisfies this starting value. And then your approach is identical to full induction.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How do I know if a solution to a recurrence relation is true?

To prove that a solution to a recurrence relation is true, you must show that it satisfies the initial conditions and follows the recurrence relation for all subsequent terms.

2. What is the recurrence relation for a given problem?

The recurrence relation for a problem can be found by analyzing the pattern in the given sequence and identifying the relationship between each term and the previous terms.

3. Can a recurrence relation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a recurrence relation can have multiple solutions. However, it is important to note that not all solutions may satisfy the initial conditions, so it is necessary to check for validity.

4. What is the difference between a closed-form solution and an iterative solution for a recurrence relation?

A closed-form solution is an explicit formula that directly calculates the value of a term in the recurrence relation, while an iterative solution involves using previous terms to calculate the value of the next term.

5. Are there any tips for proving the validity of a solution to a recurrence relation?

One tip is to try substituting the proposed solution into the recurrence relation and simplifying to see if it holds true. Additionally, you can use mathematical induction to prove the validity of a solution.