Register to reply

Communication systems and entanglement

Share this thread:
UChr
Jun24-11, 09:09 AM
P: 60
Quote Quote by DrChinese View Post
To get interference for Alice, Bob must be detected as a wave and not a localized particle. Sending Bob through a fiber will turn Bob particle-like and that means no interference for Alice. And vice versa!
then no fiber - I thought maybe it was more smart - but it is a gedanken experiment, so no need to unnecessary practical difficulties.

So transmitter PBS(0) or PBS(45).
Receiver: a PBS(0) followed by two Mach-Zehnder interferometers - with for example a BS = half silvered mirror.

Quote Quote by DrChinese View Post
I didn't try to work through your examples all the way as these Quantum Eraser discussions get sidetracked almost immediately with the details of the setup and it gets impossible to move past that.
Maybe one of those who has studied the Walborn experiment, answer my two questions?

(Walborn figure 2 is without QWP and without polarizer - but shows interference. How does this work?

With the two QWPs in place: Should then just a laserbeam with diagonal (positive) polarized photons cause interference - or is the presence of entanglement decisive?)
SpectraCat
Jun24-11, 10:10 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,395
Which Walborn experiment? Please link to the paper you are referencing.
DrChinese
Jun24-11, 10:25 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,299
Quote Quote by UChr View Post
then no fiber - I thought maybe it was more smart - but it is a gedanken experiment, so no need to unnecessary practical difficulties.

So transmitter PBS(0) or PBS(45).
Receiver: a PBS(0) followed by two Mach-Zehnder interferometers - with for example a BS = half silvered mirror.

Maybe one of those who has studied the Walborn experiment, answer my two questions?

(Walborn figure 2 is without QWP and without polarizer - but shows interference. How does this work?

With the two QWPs in place: Should then just a laserbeam with diagonal (positive) polarized photons cause interference - or is the presence of entanglement decisive?)
Have you looked at this?

http://grad.physics.sunysb.edu/~amarch/

http://grad.physics.sunysb.edu/~amarch/Walborn.pdf
UChr
Jun24-11, 10:48 AM
P: 60
Quote Quote by SpectraCat View Post
Which Walborn experiment? Please link to the paper you are referencing.
arXiv:quant-ph/0106078v1 13 juni 2001

Register to reply