A question about entanglement swapping

In summary: Here are a few:Two independent photon pairs versus four-photon entangled states in parametric down conversionExperimental observation of four-photon entanglement from down-conversionFour-photon orbital angular momentum entanglement
Heidi
Happy new year for all the forumers,
My question is about a modification of entanglement swapping:
We use to have two sources of maximally entangled pairs (a and A) and (b and B)
when a is up then A is also up, same thing for b and B
and up and down refer to a measurement along a given direction
After swapping A and B are maximally entangled
The modification: a and A are maximally entangled along a given direction . b and B alson but along another direction
I wonder if there is a possible entanglement (not maximal) between A and B

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi said:
1. The modification: a and A are maximally entangled along a given direction . b and B alson but along another direction

2. I wonder if there is a possible entanglement (not maximal) between A and B

1. a and A cannot be polarization entangled in a direction prior to measurement. After measurement of course, they will no longer be entangled.

2. This wasn't your question, but I will pass this along just for fun: sometimes, an entangled source produces 4 photons rather than the usual 2. These 4 photons are entangled, but not maximally so. The 4 as a group are not separable, and as a group obey a conservation rule. A measurement on one of the 4 will leave the remaining 3 entangled, but again not maximally so. A measurement on a second photon will leave the remaining 2 entangled. That remaining pair may be maximally entangled.

At the end of the experiment , when Alice and Bob (who shared pairs of entangled particles) look a the results, when they had chosen a common direction, there was a perfect correlation between the results of Bob and Alice devices. they are maximally entangled.
when the chosen directions slightly differ, there is also correlation but not perfect.
this may be what i was looking for.

DrChinese said:
1. a and A cannot be polarization entangled in a direction prior to measurement. After measurement of course, they will no longer be entangled.

2. This wasn't your question, but I will pass this along just for fun: sometimes, an entangled source produces 4 photons rather than the usual 2. These 4 photons are entangled, but not maximally so. The 4 as a group are not separable, and as a group obey a conservation rule. A measurement on one of the 4 will leave the remaining 3 entangled, but again not maximally so. A measurement on a second photon will leave the remaining 2 entangled. That remaining pair may be maximally entangled.
The "for fun" #2 information is interesting. Where can I learn more about that?

r20 said:
The "for fun" #2 [multi-photon entanglement] information is interesting. Where can I learn more about that?
Here are a few:

Two independent photon pairs versus four-photon entangled states in parametric down conversion
Experimental observation of four-photon entanglement from down-conversion
Four-photon orbital angular momentum entanglement

These papers are fairly technical. The rules on entanglement between N particles can get confusing pretty quick. :smile: So no guarantees on the "fun" part.

Likes r20 and vanhees71

1. What is entanglement swapping?

Entanglement swapping is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become entangled through interactions with a third particle, even if the original particles were not directly entangled with each other.

2. How does entanglement swapping work?

Entanglement swapping works by using a process called quantum teleportation, where the quantum state of one particle is transferred to another particle without physically moving the particle itself. This allows for the entanglement of particles that were previously not entangled.

3. What is the significance of entanglement swapping?

Entanglement swapping has significant implications for quantum communication and computing. It allows for the creation of entangled states between distant particles, which can be used for secure communication and faster computing.

4. Can entanglement swapping be observed in the real world?

Yes, entanglement swapping has been observed in various experiments using photons and other particles. While it may seem like a concept from science fiction, it is a well-established phenomenon in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any potential applications of entanglement swapping?

Aside from its potential uses in quantum communication and computing, entanglement swapping is also being explored for applications in quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum networks. It may also have implications for understanding the fundamental nature of quantum entanglement.