A but linear algebra

by Grieverheart
Tags: maximal, rank, string, supersymmetry, theory
Grieverheart
Jul1-11, 03:27 PM
P: 31
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Ok, it seems I need to refresh my linear algebra a bit. In the string theory exams, we had a part about space-time supersymmetry of the superparticle. On of the questions was this:

Argue that the matrix [itex]\Gamma^{\mu}p_{\mu}[/itex] can have at most half maximal rank upon imposing the equations of motion.

(Recall that any matrix can be brought to Jordan normal form, meaning that it is diagonal with at most 1s in places right above the diagonal entries.

2. Relevant equations
Equations of Motion (the relevant ones):
[itex]\Gamma^{\mu} p_{\mu} \dot{\theta}=0[/itex], where [itex]\dot{\theta}(\tau)[/itex] is an anti-commuting spinor in space-time and has 32 components (we're working in 10 dimensions.

3. The attempt at a solution

I write [itex]\Gamma^{\mu}p_{\mu} \dot{\theta}=0[/itex] as (I use 3x3 for simplicity)

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
a & 1 & 0\\
0 & b & 1\\
0 & 0 & c
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\dot{\theta_0}\\
\dot{\theta_1}\\
\dot{\theta_2}
\end{pmatrix}=0[/itex]

From this I get 3 equations, but I'm not really sure how they affect the rank.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue

Register to reply