Einstein Velocity Addition for a Moving Charge in a Wire

In summary, the scenario described involves a wire with positive and negative charges moving at speeds v and -v respectively, and a charged particle moving at a speed u perpendicular to the wire. The velocities of the wire according to an observer in a frame moving with the charged particle are given by v+ and v-, which can be calculated using a Lorentz transformation. Your analysis matches the results given by Griffiths.
CDL

Homework Statement

I am reading through Griffiths' Electrodynamics, and I have come to the scenario in the Relativity chapter where in an inertial reference frame ##S##, we have a wire, with positive charges (linear density ##\lambda##) moving to the right at speed ##v##, and negative charges (##\rho = - \lambda##) moving to the left also at speed ##v##.

There is also charged particle moving to the right at speed ##u < v##, a perpendicular distance ##s## from the wire.

Griffiths writes that the velocities of the right and left moving wires, ##v_+## and ##v_-## respectively, according to an observer moving along with the charge moving with speed ##u## (let's say in frame ##\bar{S}##) are ##v_{\pm} = \frac{v \mp u}{1 \mp \frac{vu}{c^2}}.## This doesn't agree with my attempt.

Homework Equations

Suppose we have two inertial frames of reference ##S## and ##\bar{S}## whose origins in spacetime coincide. ##\bar{S}## is moving at a constant velocity ##u## along the ##x##-axis according to an observer in ##S##. For a 4-vector ##X^\mu## in ##S##, the corresponding 4-vector ##\bar{X}^{\mu}## in ##\bar{S}## is given by ##\bar{X}^{\mu} = \begin{pmatrix}\gamma & -\beta\gamma & 0 & 0 \\ -\beta \gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} X##, where ##\beta = \frac{u}{c}## and ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}.##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Without a loss of generality, we can make ##t = 0, x = 0## in ##S## correspond to ##\bar{t} = 0## and ##\bar{x}=0## in ##\bar{S}##. We can also make all motion happen along a common ##x##/##\bar{x}##-axis. Suppose one of the positive charges in the positive line density traverses a displacement ##\Delta x## along the ##x##-axis in a time interval ##\Delta t## in ##S##, then ##\pm v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}##, plus corresponding to right-moving positive charge in ##S##, minus corresponding to left-moving negative charge in ##S##. By considering a Lorentz transformation from ##S## to ##\bar{S}##, we have ##\begin{pmatrix}c \Delta \bar{t} \\ \Delta \bar{x}\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \gamma & - \beta \gamma \\ -\beta \gamma & \gamma\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} c\Delta t \\ \Delta x \end{pmatrix},## where ##\beta = \frac{u}{c}## and ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - {u^2 \over c^2}}}.## This implies that ##\frac{\Delta{\bar{x}}}{\Delta \bar{t}} = c\frac{-\beta \gamma c \Delta t + \gamma \Delta x}{\gamma c \Delta t - \beta \gamma \Delta x}.## Dividing top and bottom by ##\Delta t## and cancelling the ##\gamma##'s yields ## v_{\pm} = c\frac{-\beta c \pm v}{c\mp \beta v}## and so ##v_{\pm} = \frac{\pm v - u}{1 \mp \frac{uv}{c^2}}.##

Edit: I think I see the issue here, the magnitudes of my results match that of Griffiths', he may have been referring to speed. Still, it would be great for someone to check whether or not my analysis is correct :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me.

What is Einstein Velocity Addition for a Moving Charge in a Wire?

Einstein's Velocity Addition for a Moving Charge in a Wire is a mathematical formula that describes how the speed of a moving charge in a wire is affected by the speed of the wire itself. It takes into account the principles of special relativity and is used in the field of electromagnetism.

Why is Einstein Velocity Addition important in the study of electromagnetism?

Einstein Velocity Addition is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the speed of a moving charge in a wire, taking into account the relative motion of the wire. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic forces and fields.

How is Einstein Velocity Addition different from regular velocity addition?

Einstein Velocity Addition takes into account the principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which affect the relative velocities of objects moving at high speeds. Regular velocity addition assumes that time and space are constant, which is not the case in the realm of special relativity.

Can Einstein Velocity Addition be applied to moving charges in any medium?

Yes, Einstein Velocity Addition can be applied to moving charges in any medium, as long as the principles of special relativity are taken into account. It is commonly used in the study of electricity and magnetism in conductors, but can also be applied to other types of mediums, such as plasmas.

How was Einstein Velocity Addition developed?

Einstein Velocity Addition was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity, which was published in 1905. It was a significant breakthrough in understanding the relationship between motion and time, and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations.