Clifford algebra in higher dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of Clifford algebras in different dimensions, specifically 1+10 and 2+10 dimensions. The anti-commutation relations and the use of raising and lowering operators are mentioned, as well as the motivation for this problem in string theory. The expert suggests extending the involution to think about an appropriate basis for the algebras.
Ken Gallock

Homework Statement

Consider gamma matrices ##\gamma^0, \gamma^1, \gamma^2, \gamma^3## in 4-dimension. These gamma matrices satisfy the anti-commutation relation
$$
\{ \gamma^\mu , \gamma^\nu \}=2\eta^{\mu \nu}.~~~(\eta^{\mu\nu}=diag(+1,-1,-1,-1))
$$
Define ##\Gamma^{0\pm}, \Gamma^{1\pm}## as follows:
\begin{align}
\Gamma^{0\pm}:=\dfrac12 (\gamma^0 \pm \gamma^1),\\
\Gamma^{1\pm}:=\dfrac12 (i\gamma^2 \pm \gamma^3).
\end{align}

They satisfy following anti-commutation relations.
$$
\{ \Gamma^{a+}, \Gamma^{b-} \}=\delta^{ab},
\{ \Gamma^{a+}, \Gamma^{b+} \} = \{ \Gamma^{a-}, \Gamma^{b-} \}=0.
~~(a,b=0,1)
$$

Now, we can construct other Clifford algebra in higher dimensions.

Question: Construct Clifford algebra for 1+10 dimension and 2+10 dimension as we did in above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason this problem is difficult for me is that 1+10 dimension is 11-dimension space-time and they are odd number dimension. If it were even number dimension, then it is easy to construct Clifford algebra; we only have to add new terms such like
$$
\Gamma^{2\pm}=\dfrac12 (i\gamma^3 \pm \gamma^4).
$$
But in 11-dimension, we can't do this. I tried to think in 3-dimension, but I couldn't figure out how to construct Clifford algebra.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ken Gallock said:

Homework Statement

Consider gamma matrices ##\gamma^0, \gamma^1, \gamma^2, \gamma^3## in 4-dimension. These gamma matrices satisfy the anti-commutation relation
$$
\{ \gamma^\mu , \gamma^\nu \}=2\eta^{\mu \nu}.~~~(\eta^{\mu\nu}=diag(+1,-1,-1,-1))
$$
Define ##\Gamma^{0\pm}, \Gamma^{1\pm}## as follows:
\begin{align}
\end{align}

They satisfy following anti-commutation relations.
$$
~~(a,b=0,1)
$$

Now, we can construct other Clifford algebra in higher dimensions.

Question: Construct Clifford algebra for 1+10 dimension and 2+10 dimension as we did in above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason this problem is difficult for me is that 1+10 dimension is 11-dimension space-time and they are odd number dimension. If it were even number dimension, then it is easy to construct Clifford algebra; we only have to add new terms such like
$$
\Gamma^{2\pm}=\dfrac12 (i\gamma^3 \pm \gamma^4).
$$
But in 11-dimension, we can't do this. I tried to think in 3-dimension, but I couldn't figure out how to construct Clifford algebra.

Thanks.
I don't really understand the problem. Firstly, the pairing which leads to the ##\Gamma^a## is simply a basis transformation of the ##\gamma^a##, so we don't have do bother them. Now ##\eta## is all that counts for the definition, since this is the bilinear form. So why isn't ##\eta = \operatorname{diag}(+1,-1,\ldots ,-1)## the solution with as many ##-1## as desired?

The grading can be done for all Clifford algebras. All you need is an involution. The difference between the given ##(1,3)## and the requested ##(2,10)## example is bigger than between ##(1,3)## and ##(1,10)##.

fresh_42 said:
I don't really understand the problem. Firstly, the pairing which leads to the ##\Gamma^a## is simply a basis transformation of the ##\gamma^a##, so we don't have do bother them. Now ##\eta## is all that counts for the definition, since this is the bilinear form. So why isn't ##\eta = \operatorname{diag}(+1,-1,\ldots ,-1)## the solution with as many ##-1## as desired?

The grading can be done for all Clifford algebras. All you need is an involution. The difference between the given ##(1,3)## and the requested ##(2,10)## example is bigger than between ##(1,3)## and ##(1,10)##.
I think I should have noted the motivation of this problem. We want to think about a generalization of 4D Clifford algebra. For example, in ##1+3## dimension, we can set ##\Gamma##s as
\begin{align}
\end{align}

The anti-commutation relations are
$$
~~(a,b=0,1)
$$

These ##\Gamma^{0+}## and ##\Gamma^{1+}## are kind of raising operators, and ##\Gamma^{0-}## and ##\Gamma^{1-}## are lowering operators. Since the anti-commutation relations are similar to that of spinor fields', we could define a vacuum state ##\Omega## and set
$$
\Gamma^{a-}\Omega = 0.
$$

Then, states like ##\Gamma^{a+}\Omega## can be thought as a one-particle state.

If we construct Clifford algebra by using these ##\Gamma##s, we can think of Clifford algebra in various dimensions such like 1+10 or 2+10.
This is used in string theory.

I know. But it doesn't change my answer. You can extend ##v \longmapsto -v## to an involution ##\varphi## of ##\mathcal{Cl}(V,\eta)## and the grading is then ##\mathcal{Cl}^{(i)}(V,\eta)= \operatorname{im}(\operatorname{id} \pm \varphi)##. With that you can think about an appropriate basis.

fresh_42 said:
I know. But it doesn't change my answer. You can extend ##v \longmapsto -v## to an involution ##\varphi## of ##\mathcal{Cl}(V,\eta)## and the grading is then ##\mathcal{Cl}^{(i)}(V,\eta)= \operatorname{im}(\operatorname{id} \pm \varphi)##. With that you can think about an appropriate basis.
Thanks.
I will do my best.

1. What is Clifford algebra in higher dimensions?

Clifford algebra in higher dimensions is a mathematical tool used to represent and manipulate geometric objects in higher dimensional spaces. It extends the traditional vector algebra by incorporating the concept of multivectors, which can represent not only scalars, vectors, and planes, but also higher dimensional objects like hyperplanes and hyperspheres.

2. What are the applications of Clifford algebra in higher dimensions?

Clifford algebra in higher dimensions has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in the study of relativity, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism, as well as in image and signal processing, robotics, and computer graphics.

3. How does Clifford algebra in higher dimensions differ from traditional vector algebra?

Clifford algebra in higher dimensions differs from traditional vector algebra by allowing the representation of higher dimensional objects and by introducing new operations, such as the exterior product and the geometric product. These operations have geometric interpretations and allow for a more intuitive understanding of mathematical concepts.

4. Is it difficult to learn and apply Clifford algebra in higher dimensions?

Learning and applying Clifford algebra in higher dimensions can be challenging at first, especially for those who are not familiar with abstract algebra. However, with practice and a good understanding of the underlying principles, it can become a powerful tool for solving problems in higher dimensional spaces.

5. Are there any resources available for learning Clifford algebra in higher dimensions?

Yes, there are various resources available for learning Clifford algebra in higher dimensions, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and abstract algebra before delving into Clifford algebra in higher dimensions.