Can you become an engineer with a degree in physics?

In summary, you are considering an undergraduate in physics and a masters in engineering in order to gain more knowledge in the field of engineering. You feel the pressure to choose a degree that will lead to a career, but you are open to other options.
blaughli
Hi folks

I came back to school for engineering (already have BA in music) so that I'd learn math, science, and practical skills. 2 years in at a City College and I need to make some moves for transferring. I have a friend who has tons of practical experience working as a mechanic, electrician, construction guy, etc, and he is my age and just transferred to a state school to study physics. He says that he already feels like he can do the "engineering" part of the job, and it's the tough math and theory that he wants to master so that he can later decide to become a career engineer or physicist. This sounds great to me, as I am more interested in math and physics than I expected and found myself a little bored by my statics and circuit analysis classes (they were cool but I got scared thinking that I'd hate to do that stuff all day for a living). I love building things and tinkering but feel that I could do this on my own and also take engineering classes as electives.

I've also heard from a physicist friend that going into engineering after physics undergrad is quite impractical as you won't be eligible to become a PE due to lack of classes. I am considering an undergrad in physics and a masters in engineering, though this would take me 3-4 years (yikes). Is it reasonable to think that I could do undergrad in physics, 1-2 year masters in engineering, and then be employable as an engineer?

BTW I'm 27 and my gf says I need to grow the ***** up and get a masters in a degree that will earn me some cash. I feel the pressure of career and success vs. risk and a possibly extraordinary life.

Thanks
B

Physics news on Phys.org
You mentioned you were a "little bored by my statics and circuit analysis classes."

But these courses come from basic physics. What areas of physics are you interested in?

I feel like I'm interested in all areas of physics, though I may be saying this because I know so little. I loved my first 2 semesters, mechanics and electromagnetism. I know that statics and circuit analysis are based on these classes specifically, and that's the rub for me: I keep wondering how much else is out there. Statics, though it did take some time, was relatively easy to other classes because I was just applying what I knew of trigonometry, a little calculus, and mechanics to lots and lots of problems. I did learn some awesome new stuff like moments and trusses (I DID like solving the problems), it's just that I feel that at this point I'd be "cashing out" early if I went for Civil. Circuits was tougher, I got a B and needed more practice with non-linear circuits with capacitors and inductors. I know that any engineering, especially EE, is tough, but if most engineers are just applying physics to real problems, then ideally shouldn't those that have the drive to learn as much as possible just do physics and then do a Masters in what really intrigues them?

It's like with environmental engineering - some say it's the softest of the fields, but what if you focused on chemistry and physics and THEN applied yourself to that field? Maybe at least then you wouldn't be stuck pushing paper or enforcing code on condo developments. BTW I may go that route since I love nature and the outdoors and want to preserve it.

Oh, so I guess I'm interested in all the physics I've heard about. I think that quantum mechanics will hep explain a lot of chemical phenomena, and optics and thermodynamics will help with...other stuff! Beyond that, I have no idea

ecoming an engineer with a degree in physics is definitely possible. In fact, many engineers have a background in physics as it provides a strong foundation in math, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. However, it may require additional courses or a graduate degree in engineering to become fully qualified as an engineer.

Your friend's experience in practical skills is certainly valuable, but it is important to note that engineering also involves a strong understanding of theoretical principles and advanced math. It's great that you are interested in both math and physics, as these are essential components of engineering.

As for the concern about becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE), it is true that a degree in physics may not meet all the requirements for licensure. However, many states have alternative pathways for individuals with non-engineering degrees to become licensed. Additionally, having a master's degree in engineering can also help meet some of the requirements for licensure.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a degree in physics with a master's in engineering is a personal one. It may take longer, but it can also open up opportunities in both fields. It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making this decision. As for your girlfriend's comment, it's important to choose a career path that you are passionate about and will bring you fulfillment, rather than just chasing a high-paying job. Best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles of nature, while engineering is the application of these principles to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. How does physics play a role in engineering?

Physics provides the theoretical foundation for engineering, as it helps engineers understand the behavior of materials, forces, and energy. This understanding is crucial in designing and optimizing structures, machines, and systems.

3. What are some examples of how physics is applied in engineering?

Physics is applied in engineering in various ways, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures, in the development of new materials and technologies, and in the design of electronic devices and circuits.

4. How do engineers use physics to solve problems?

Engineers use their knowledge of physics to analyze and solve problems related to the design, construction, and operation of structures, machines, and systems. They apply principles of physics to develop innovative solutions and improve existing designs.

5. Can someone with a physics background become an engineer?

Yes, someone with a physics background can become an engineer. Many engineering programs require a strong foundation in physics, and many physicists go on to pursue careers in engineering. However, additional education and training may be necessary to gain specific engineering skills and knowledge.