Masters in Physics after working in Engineering

linnkthwin
I wanted to get some guidance on whether someone on here has decided to study a masters in physics while working as an engineer. I graduated last year july with a Mechanical Engineering Degree and currently work as a graduate engineer within an energy company. I found that throughout my undergrad and currently I have been interested in Physics. I wanted to know if there is anyone on a similar path or have gone through a similar path and have any recommendations or advice? Particularly interested in if the Masters degree gave you more exciting career opportunities that could not have been opened by engineering degree/experience alone. I also am in Australia and plan to stay working in Australia

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answers to your questions depend on country. Your profile has you listed as being in Australia. To make sure you get relevant responses, please confirm that you are planning to complete your master's and then continue your career in Australia. If not, what options are you considering?

Hi CrysPhys

Yup all australia based study and will plan to continue to work in Australia

I suggest you look up some Physics master's programs at universities in Australia you would be interested in attending and see whether or not you have the requisite background required to be admitted.

Likes DeBangis21
I have already been accepted and am enrolled. Deciding on whether to continue based on others experience, if they have walked a similar path

Likes DeBangis21
??? Shouldn't you have resolved these issues before you enrolled? Does your university have a career counselling/career placement office? That would be a good place to start. What about an alumni office? Find out where past grads have ended up.

Likes DeBangis21, Vanadium 50 and hutchphd
Hi CrysPhys I am simply asking for the shared experience of those who have walked a similar path, whether if they have any valuable insight or wisdom. Thank you for the advice however i will take that on board

The problem with "similar path" is that different people have different goals. The path to Sydney is not the path to Melbourne.

Likes gwnorth