Bomb blast in Oslo; PM's office building targeted.

by arildno
Tags: blast, bomb, building, office, oslo, targeted
pftest
Aug9-11, 11:36 PM
P: 271
In the discovery show there was a young man who begged for his life, then Breivik turned around and yelled "today is the day you will all die" and killed someone else. Then he went to the young man and shot him in the shoulder. So it sounds like Breivik didnt try to spare him, he just aimed badly.
arildno
Aug10-11, 05:47 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
Maybe for the simple fact that he doesn’t have any... he just wants it to look that way...
It is part of his mind game.
What he is after, and he is quite clear about it, is to induce paranoia in the ruling multi-cultural elites, so that these will repress perfectly legitimate critics of multi-culturalism.
These then, within Breivik's mind, will then lose the belief in the democratic process and turn to violence instead.
To indicate that there exist a number of as yet undisclosed terror cells will maximize the probability that such a witch hunt begins.

Breivik is a nihilist and self-appointed harbinger of the apocalypse, the best way to deal with him is to have a political climate in which he is utterly irrelevant, and just a disgusting, evil aberration.
That will also hurt him the most..
DevilsAvocado
Aug10-11, 06:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,641
Quote Quote by arildno View Post
What he is after, and he is quite clear about it, is to induce paranoia in the ruling multi-cultural elites, so that these will repress perfectly legitimate critics of multi-culturalism.
These then, within Breivik's mind, will then lose the belief in the democratic process and turn to violence instead.
To indicate that there exist a number of as yet undisclosed terror cells will maximize the probability that such a witch hunt begins.

Breivik is a nihilist and self-appointed harbinger of the apocalypse, the best way to deal with him is to have a political climate in which he is utterly irrelevant, and just a disgusting, evil aberration.
Agree.

I donít like to get too 'melodramatic & emotional' (except for the initial shock), but I would be lying in not admitting that this kind of "mind" frightens me...

The 'layman picture' of severe mental illness is a person in total chaos, incapable of performing the simplest everyday tasks.

This is something else... and it looks like that even the professors canít agree on what it is...
arildno
Aug10-11, 07:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
This is something else... and it looks like that even the professors canít agree on what it is...
I think "evil" is the appropriate term..
lisab
Aug10-11, 09:30 AM
Mentor
P: 2,912
For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world.
-- From President Obama's Nobel acceptance speech
DevilsAvocado
Aug10-11, 11:54 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world.
hum... suddenly Iíve got a weird feeling thereís something wrong with my username... DevilsAvocado... can one change...?

Seriously, you are both right, itís just (stupid) me who wants a "clinical & logical explanation", where possible no 'logic' can be found Ė just pure evil.

Itís just that Norway is the last place on earth I suspected this kind evilness could 'arise'... maybe if it had been on Kim Jong-Ilís backyard... it would have been easier to digest...
mheslep
Aug10-11, 01:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Arildno for Norwegian PM
mheslep
Aug10-11, 01:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
[...]

Interestingly that is also a near perfect description of, and prescription for, the late Osama Bin Laden and Sayyid Qutb before him in Egypt.
pftest
Aug11-11, 01:56 AM
Apparently the police in norway say that Breivik has videotaped his utoya rampage, but they havent found the camera yet.
pftest
Aug12-11, 03:44 AM
I came across this video which addresses the issue of who is also responsible for Breiviks acts (right wing, antiislamists, the media, religion, or other):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3uTPcxLsFo

Of course this is his personal opinion but i think he makes some good points. It seems like he actually read (at least parts of) Breiviks manuscript and that Breivik himself described what lead him to do what he did.
DevilsAvocado
Aug12-11, 12:03 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by pftest View Post
... It seems like he actually read (at least parts of) Breiviks manuscript and that Breivik himself described what lead him to do what he did.
Well, that would be a little bit like reading Mein Kampf to find 'logical' motives for Adolf Hitlerís Holocaust, wouldnít it?
arildno
Aug12-11, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Is it wrong to read "Mein Kampf" in order to ascertain those elements in Hitler's personal life that he himself regarded as pivotal in shaping his outlook?

If it is, in some weird fashion, wrong to do so, what individuals have more authority to establish the correct factors of Hitler's radicalization than Hitler himself?
DevilsAvocado
Aug12-11, 12:54 PM
PF Gold
Sure, but I do think you missed 'logical' in my post...

(watch the video, if you haven’t)
arildno
Aug12-11, 01:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
I've seen the video.
It is complete nonsense, and malevolent nonsense as that, to hold Pamela Geller or Robert Spencer "morally" responsible for Breivik's actions.
But that is precisely what New York Times and other idiot media outlets are trying to do.
Anything further you would say upon the matter?
pftest
Aug12-11, 01:59 PM
Because Breivik planned his acts meticulously and well in advance, i wouldnt be surprised if he has some plans for what to do during captivity. His intent seemed to be to cause maximum shock to society, and unless he completely changed his mind, he is going to continue this while in custody. Basically i would expect him to behave like a troll (a norwegian term...). The other day the dutch news reported that he videotaped his shootings on utoya, but that the police hadnt found the camera yet. Im starting to think that this is a nonsense story, because i havent seen it reported elsewhere. But the first thing that came to mind was that he buried the camera somewhere and that its uploaded the video to some website (its all possible nowadays) and that he when given the chance to talk publicly, can release its url/password, or the coordinates of where its buried. This is something that would fit right in his goal, whats more shocking than hearing about a mass killing, than seeing it on video a few weeks later? Im probably off into conspiracy land here, buts hope it doesnt happen.
pftest
Aug12-11, 02:05 PM
I've seen the video.
It is complete nonsense, and malevolent nonsense as that, to hold Pamela Geller or Robert Spencer "morally" responsible for Breivik's actions.
But that is precisely what New York Times and other idiot media outlets are trying to do.
Anything further you would say upon the matter?
I didnt know they were blaming right wing people in america untill i saw that video. I thought it was limited to the netherlands where they are blaming Geert Wilders (who is mentioned in breiviks manuscript and also the video on the previous page) for breiviks acts. He is a politician against islam, and because he says things like banning/taxing headscarfs, banning the quran, etc., the left wing now call him hitler, nazi, racist, dutroux(belgian childraper/killer), mentally ill, etc. Even a few pages ago in this topic a fellow dutchman started talking about how the netherlands is going to start gassing muslims... And whats the worst mr Wilders has said? Calling the headscarf a piece of cloth that should be taxed.
arildno
Aug12-11, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
"The other day the dutch news reported that he videotaped his shootings on utoya, but that the police hadnt found the camera yet. Im starting to think that this is a nonsense story, because i havent seen it reported elsewhere."

It is from Norwegian media:
1. Breivik has said in his manifesto that it might be a "good thing" to film the "martyrdom operation", if he got the chance

2. The police has confirmed that video cameras were found on his FARM, and that these are now secured.

3. The police have confirmed that they have searched UtÝya for electronic devices; unfortunately, they have HUNDREDS of mobiles and so on, so that they cannot as yet confirm that they have found something Breivik had with him, rather than something belonging to one of his victims.

4. The police has, as yet, not commented upon whether Breivik has said in his interrogations (40 hours+ now) that he DID film, or if he merely had planned it, but didn't do it.

That is how this facet of the Breivik case is looking at the moment.
Proton Soup
Aug12-11, 02:24 PM
P: 1,070
Is it wrong to read "Mein Kampf" in order to ascertain those elements in Hitler's personal life that he himself regarded as pivotal in shaping his outlook?

If it is, in some weird fashion, wrong to do so, what individuals have more authority to establish the correct factors of Hitler's radicalization than Hitler himself?
no, it's not wrong. unless you've got other documentation to show that Hitler wrote Mein Kampf not as reflection of his outlook, but as a way to influence others' opinions.

i was just looking at Breivik's manifesto to see if the references to MEMRI were indeed there, and the thing is just chock full of footnotes. it will be pretty easy to go back and see whose ideas he was influenced by.

Register to reply