Graphene concepts

by marie2010
Tags: concepts, graphene
Share this thread:
marie2010
Aug31-11, 10:17 AM
P: 36
hi,
I was reading an article about graphene and I came across some concepts I am not familiar with. I was just wondering if someone could help me understand them:

The article says that charge carriers in graphene are massless fermions that are described with a Dirac-like equation rather than Schrodinger equation. The bilayer graphene are, on the other hand, massive Dirac fermions. Can someone comment on what it all means (in terms of the material properties, etc)? Why is it important?
Thanks a lot.

marie
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
ErolDynamics
Mar18-12, 08:52 AM
P: 16
I am not sure but I think at zero point charge carries behave like relativistic particle. Which means E=h.f . I will ask this issue to my supervisors in my project group. I will return you in a few days. Thank you very much :)
PRB147
Apr1-12, 08:02 AM
P: 96
the equations describing the graphene is the same as that for the neutrino (except the velocity). neutrino is massless. so does the graphene.
The bilayer graphene is described by the different equations which have the second order
derivative on the x,y coordinates, so massive Dirac fermions

Register to reply