Carrier concentration temperature dependence; semiconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of device physics and the changes in majority and minority carrier concentrations for both N- and P-type substrates with temperature. The reference used is Pierret's Semiconductor Device Fundamentals, but the given equations only cover the extrinsic and intrinsic regions and do not work for "freeze out". The speaker also mentions finding a figure generated in Silvaco ATLAS, but the calculation is not explained. They request an explanation and a hand-drawn sketch of the majority and minority carrier concentrations as a function of temperature for both substrate types. The issue with the calculation is identified as a problem with the formula for n, which is only valid if all donor and acceptor states are fully ionized.
DivGradCurl
Hi all,

I'm reviewing device physics and I would like to understand how majority and minority carrier concentrations for both N- and P-type substrates change with temperature. My reference, Pierret's Semiconductor Device Fundamentals, has this figure:

Figure.png

and I want to generate curves for all cases. However, I'm only given these equations

Table.png

which only seem to cover the extrinsic and intrinsic regions; it doesn't work for "freeze out". Here is what I get using the "n, p, and Fermi Level Computational Relationships":

Screen_Shot_2016_07_19_at_10_10_40_PM.png

Mathematica notebook download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhrqgHUHYVjaVdHM3UwNUlWSHc

which obviously does not match the figure above. I also wonder how the characteristic looks like for minority carriers, and I would like to repeat the figure for the P-type substrate case.

I checked a number of references, but could not find expressions that yield the desired result. I did find a figure generated in Silvaco ATLAS:

tft_fig1.gif

Article:
http://www.silvaco.com/tech_lib_TCAD/simulationstandard/2000/nov/a1/a1.html

However, the calculation is not explained, which makes sense; it's a commercial software. It seems that the "freeze out" region is not simple to calculate as I could not find expressions in books. It appears to me that the carrier effective mass is a function of temperature, but books provide only 300K values, and that may be necessary if the correct expressions for the general case are those that rely on integrals and effective masses.

Can someone explain this? A hand-drawn sketch explaining the majority and minority carrier concentration as a function of temperature for both N- and P-type Si would be fine, if you happen to understand all cases. If you also know what's going wrong with my calculation, also let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Figure.png
    Figure.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 5,221
  • Table.png
    Table.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 4,169
Hi,

The problem is with the formula for n, (that is the first formula under "n, p and Fermi level computational relationships"). This formula is valid only if all the donor and acceptor states are fully ionized. Multiply ##N_D## and ##N_A## by the probability that the level is ionized (use Fermi-Dirac statistics and consider degeneracy of the level) then you should get the freeze-out

1. What is carrier concentration temperature dependence in semiconductors?

Carrier concentration temperature dependence refers to the relationship between the concentration of charge carriers (electrons and holes) in a semiconductor and the temperature at which it is operating. As temperature increases, the number of charge carriers also increases due to thermal excitation of electrons from the valence to the conduction band.

2. How does temperature affect the conductivity of semiconductors?

The conductivity of a semiconductor is directly proportional to its carrier concentration. As temperature increases, the carrier concentration also increases, leading to an increase in conductivity. This is because more charge carriers are available to carry current in the material.

3. What is the relationship between carrier concentration and bandgap energy in semiconductors?

The bandgap energy of a semiconductor is inversely proportional to its carrier concentration. As the temperature increases and more electrons are excited to the conduction band, the bandgap energy decreases. This relationship is described by the bandgap narrowing equation.

4. How does doping affect the carrier concentration temperature dependence in semiconductors?

Doping, the intentional addition of impurities to a semiconductor, can significantly alter the carrier concentration temperature dependence. N-type doping, which adds extra electrons, increases the carrier concentration and conductivity at all temperatures. P-type doping, which adds electron holes, can also increase the carrier concentration, but at higher temperatures can lead to a decrease in carrier concentration due to thermal excitation of electrons from the valence band to the conduction band.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding carrier concentration temperature dependence in semiconductors?

Understanding the behavior of carrier concentration in semiconductors at different temperatures is crucial for the design and development of semiconductor devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells. It allows for the optimization of device performance and can also aid in the identification of potential issues, such as thermal runaway, which can occur at high temperatures in some semiconductor materials.