Register to reply

Trying to make a Superconducting tube

by TimDubya
Tags: superconducting, tube
Share this thread:
TimDubya
Sep1-11, 03:56 PM
P: 11
I'm doing an experiment which requires the fabrication of a superconducting hollow cylinder but I am unable to find a firm which does custom manufacturing of this nature. I have found numerous which sell the high Tc powders (YBCO BSCCO). My question is if I do just buy the powders what could I do to form my cylinder? I was thinking I could either press it in to shape or add a binder of some sort. However I recognize the binder idea may diminish some properties of the HTS.

Any and all insight appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
ZapperZ
Sep1-11, 08:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Can't you just buy a solid cylinder of niobium or aluminum and then drill a hole?

Zz.
TimDubya
Sep1-11, 09:00 PM
P: 11
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
Can't you just buy a solid cylinder of niobium or aluminum and then drill a hole?

Zz.
Liquid helium is expensive.

Vanadium 50
Sep1-11, 09:34 PM
Mentor
P: 16,198
Trying to make a Superconducting tube

Yes, but so is making a tube of YBCO that manages to superconduct. I was going to recommend a niobium tube. You can buy these commercially.

Register to reply