Magnetic field materials

by PhysicsRolla
Tags: magn. field strength, shielding
Share this thread:
PhysicsRolla
Sep2-11, 02:17 PM
P: 10
Hello

I am building a casing for Neodymium Magnet. I don't want to shield the power of the magnet in any way, and I want the casing to be strong. What is the best material that i can use?
It also has to be transperant.

Will plastic effect the magnetic field and by how much. Will the thickness matter much from let's sat 1mm to 2mm.

Please help. Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
berkeman
Sep2-11, 04:32 PM
Mentor
P: 40,656
Quote Quote by PhysicsRolla View Post
Hello

I am building a casing for Neodymium Magnet. I don't want to shield the power of the magnet in any way, and I want the casing to be strong. What is the best material that i can use?
It also has to be transperant.

Will plastic effect the magnetic field and by how much. Will the thickness matter much from let's sat 1mm to 2mm.

Please help. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the PF.

Plastic will have no effect on the magnetic field.

What shape is your magnet? What is the application?
PhysicsRolla
Sep3-11, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the welcome, i always wanted to join the physics forum, i finally had a reason to do it.

I sincerely thank you for your answer.

What is the thickness of plastic that will effect the field of the magnet? It is a disc 2 inches diameter and 1 inch thick.

PhysicsRolla
Sep7-11, 12:34 PM
Magnetic field materials

will 3mm of acrylic plastic effect the magnetic field of Neodymium Magnet disc 2 inches diameter and 1 inches thick?
berkeman
Sep7-11, 12:40 PM
Mentor
P: 40,656
Thank you for the welcome, i always wanted to join the physics forum, i finally had a reason to do it.

I sincerely thank you for your answer.

What is the thickness of plastic that will effect the field of the magnet? It is a disc 2 inches diameter and 1 inch thick.
will 3mm of acrylic plastic effect the magnetic field of Neodymium Magnet disc 2 inches diameter and 1 inches thick?
As I said, plastic will not affect the magnetic field. Unless adding plastic makes you widen the magnetic gap of the magnet, of course. Widening the magnetic gap will weaken your magnetic field.

Can you post a sketch of what you are building?

Register to reply