Directing magnetic field lines by using diamagnetic material

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using diamagnetic materials to improve the magnetic field strength at the surface of a magnet configuration. The idea is to redirect the magnetic field lines to take a longer path outside the magnets, rather than the shorter path. This idea is being considered for energy harvesting purposes and is being compared to the use of a Halbach array. The person asking the question also clarifies that they are referring to the magnetic flux density B, and not H.
inceptioncat
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible to increase the magnetic field strength of magnets by directing the magnetic field lines with diamagnetic materials?
I want to improve the magnetic field strength at the surface of a magnet configuration by utilizing diamagnetic materials to guide the magnetic field lines. I have not the proper equipment to measure the effect myself but would this work?

This is the initial configuration with four magnets side by side anti-parallel
MagnetConf1.PNG

This would be the second configuration where the four magnets are separated by a diamagnetic material (orange) such as Pyrolytic Graphite or Bismuth.
MagnetConf2.PNG

The Idea would be to redirect the magnetic fields to take the longer path outside the magnets instead of going the short path.

Is this idea feasible?

Martin

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi

Yes, I know the Halbach array and I will test this as well. But just out of curiosity I would like to know if Diamagnetic materials would work too.

I want to increase the magnetic flux density B at the top of the magnet. I would like to use this for energy harvesting so I get a big B-field and a fast change of the magnetic flux in a coil.

1. What is diamagnetic material?

Diamagnetic material is a type of material that is not attracted to a magnetic field. This means that when placed in a magnetic field, the material will create its own magnetic field in the opposite direction, causing it to be repelled by the original magnetic field.

2. How can diamagnetic material be used to direct magnetic field lines?

When diamagnetic material is placed in a magnetic field, it creates its own magnetic field in the opposite direction. This can be used to manipulate and direct the original magnetic field lines by placing the diamagnetic material strategically in the desired direction.

3. What are some examples of diamagnetic materials?

Examples of diamagnetic materials include copper, gold, silver, water, and most organic materials such as wood or plastic.

4. What are the advantages of using diamagnetic materials to direct magnetic field lines?

One of the main advantages is that diamagnetic materials are non-toxic and non-hazardous, making them safe for use in various applications. Additionally, they can be easily manipulated and controlled to direct magnetic field lines in specific directions.

5. Are there any limitations to using diamagnetic materials for directing magnetic field lines?

One limitation is that diamagnetic materials have a weaker magnetic response compared to paramagnetic or ferromagnetic materials. This means that they may not be as effective in directing magnetic field lines in certain situations. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field lines may not be as precise or controllable as with other materials.