Magnet system efficiency made from neodymium magnets

In summary, neodymium magnets are a popular choice for creating efficient magnet systems due to their high strength and durability. These magnets are made from a combination of neodymium, iron, and boron, which allows them to generate strong magnetic fields while also maintaining their shape and effectiveness over time. With their efficient magnetic properties, neodymium magnets are utilized in a variety of applications, including electric motors, generators, and magnetic separators. Their efficiency and reliability make them a valuable component in many industries, from renewable energy to medical technology.
Engren93
Me and my friend want to make a strong as possible (made from permanent magnets) homemade metal separator for seeds. We are not good in the physics of such level, so we need consultation.
We want to try neodymium magnets for our separator. We learned that magnetic flux density could be reached 1.5T (tesla) at N52-N54 neodymium magnets. But we also learned two important things;

First that magnetic flux density of the magnets depends on the geometry (disc/block/sphere) and size of the magnet;

Second magnetic flux density could be raised if using the system of magnets with special packing of these magnets.

So I have a few questions

1) What geometry of the magnet will give the maximum magnetic flux density?

2) How can I calculate the size of magnet with highest magnetic flux density? For example efficient size of magnet blocks.

3) What packing of magnets will give the highest magnetic flux density? How can I calculate the best packing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Are you wanting to remove metal pieces from the seeds, or is there some kind of sorting that can be done on the seeds themselves with strong magnetic fields?

How big of a seed separator are you hoping to build? Do you have any links to magnetic seed separation that we can look at? Thanks.

https://www.goudsmitmagnets.com/data/images/branches/seed_high_gradient_separator.jpg

seed_high_gradient_separator.jpg

Attachments

• seed_high_gradient_separator.jpg
    seed_high_gradient_separator.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 502
Greetings, Berkeman.

Thank you =)

1) We want to remove metal pieces.
2) We want to construct a separator maybe a little bigger then in the picture.

If talk about examples, we found this chinese separators very interesting https://taixiong.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.icbuShop.88.16.190a712bWVkG0A
upload_2018-9-20_10-59-0.png
Eriez company is also interesting https://www.eriez.eu/EU/EN/Products/Magnetic-Separation.htm

Also here is the photo of magnets packing. That we are interested in.
example.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-20_10-59-0.png
    upload_2018-9-20_10-59-0.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 460
  • example.jpg
    example.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 515
Be careful when working with neodymium magnets. The magnets in the photo below are 3/8" (9.5 mm) thick. Three of them were installed on a steel block side by side, all three with the north face up. They were too strong for the technician to lift and place them, so he set them one at a time on the block, and slid them into place between aluminum guides. He could get the first two magnets into position, but was not strong enough to push the third magnet into position. He had to design a jack screw mechanism to get the third magnet into position. Since all three were installed with the same pole upward, there was a strong repulsion between magnets. After the epoxy hardened, they stayed in place.

upload_2018-9-20_19-28-2.png

If a magnet of this size and strength gets away from you, it will shatter when it lands. It will also draw blood if your finger is in the way. A technician had one of these underneath the tool tray on his rollaway. It sucked a wrench out of the pocket of his foreman when the man walked too close.

There is another effect that I never fully wrapped my mind around. The strongest neodymium magnets are not necessarily the best. It's something to do with demagnetization under certain circumstances. I think it has something to do with open magnetic circuits, possibly during installation. Or maybe at higher temperatures.

This looks like a good place to get started designing permanent magnet circuits: https://www.intemag.com/magnet-design-guide.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-20_19-28-2.png
    upload_2018-9-20_19-28-2.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 468
Likes Engren93
Thank you for the link, jrmichler, it might help us.

Oh, we do understand how hard to work with the magnets. We have two 50x50x50 N48 magnet cubes at the moment and they was really close to stab me with the knife. Gladly, the knife was located 1 meter in front of me not behind and its landed with high speed directly on the magnet not harming me.

Anyway, our goal is to make as strong metal separation system as possible. Any kind of information about efficient geometry, size, packing will be usefull for us.

We also learned a little about ferromagnetic concentrators for magnet systems (in the patent https://patents.justia.com/patent/3960716). It would be great to get information about this too.

Is this related to your research? If so, I recommend a complete patent search. This is best done using the US Patent Office site: http://patft.uspto.gov/. Start with the patent you already found, then look at all of the prior art patents plus the Referenced By patents. Then look at the prior art and Referenced By patents for each patent that is relevant to your work. Do a Google search for magnetic separators. Then search for patents assigned to those companies. And the prior art... Repeat until none of the patents are relevant.

Eriez is a well known name in magnetic separation. They have 24 patents that are worth looking at. Side note from their brochure: "The P-Rex Rare Earth model is possibly the strongest permanent magnet on the planet".

Have you looked at magnetic circuit simulation software? There are a number of packages, but you should know how to calculate a simple magnetic circuit before attempting to use magnetic simulation software.

A literature search can also be done. Since the math of magnetism was well understood a long time ago, relevant papers might well be 100 years old.

Likes berkeman

What is a neodymium magnet?

A neodymium magnet is a type of permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron. It is the strongest type of permanent magnet commercially available, known for its high magnetic strength and resistance to demagnetization.

How does a magnet system made from neodymium magnets work?

A magnet system made from neodymium magnets works by utilizing the magnetic force between the neodymium magnets and a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or steel. This force creates a magnetic field that can be used to attract or repel other magnets or objects.

What makes neodymium magnets more efficient than other types of magnets?

Neodymium magnets have a higher magnetic strength than other types of magnets, such as ceramic or alnico magnets. They also have a high resistance to demagnetization, meaning they retain their magnetism over a longer period of time. This makes them more efficient for use in various applications.

What are the advantages of using a magnet system made from neodymium magnets?

The advantages of using a magnet system made from neodymium magnets include its high magnetic strength, resistance to demagnetization, and small size. This makes it ideal for use in small electronic devices or other applications where a strong and compact magnet system is needed.

Are there any safety concerns with using neodymium magnets?

While neodymium magnets are generally considered safe to handle, they can be very strong and may pose a hazard if swallowed or if allowed to snap together. It is important to handle them carefully and keep them away from small children, as well as any electronics or devices that could be damaged by their strong magnetic field.