Register to reply

Jordan Normal Form Issues

by sponsoredwalk
Tags: form, jordan, normal
Share this thread:
sponsoredwalk
Sep13-11, 07:42 AM
P: 532
I just can't figure out how you arrive at having a diagonal matrix consisting of Jordan blocks.

Going by Lang, a vector is (A - λI)-cyclic with period n if (A - λI)ⁿv = 0, for some n ∈ℕ.
It can be proven that v, (A - λI)v, ..., (A - λI)ⁿ⁻ are linearly independent, & so
{v, (A - λI)v, ..., (A - λI)ⁿ⁻} forms a basis, called the Jordan basis, for what is now known
as a cyclic vector space.

Furthermore, for each (A - λI)ⁿv we have that (A - λI)ⁿv = (A - λI)ⁿ⁺v + λ(A - λI)ⁿv.

Now for the life of me I just don't see how the matrix associated to this basis is a matrix
consisting of λ on the diagonal & 1's on the superdiagonal.

But assuming that works, I don't see how taking the direct sum of cyclic subspaces can
be represented as a matrix consisting of matrices on the diagonal.

Basically I'm just asking to see explicitly how you form the matrix w.r.t. the Jordan basis
& to see how you form a matrix representation of a direct sum of subspaces, appreciate
any & all help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
HallsofIvy
Sep13-11, 09:03 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
Let's take the simple example where the matrix, A, is 3 by 3 and has the single eigenvalue 3. Then the Characteristic equation is [itex](x- 3)^3= 0[/itex]. Since every matrix satisfies its own characteristice equiation, it must be true that for every vector, v, [itex](A- 3)^3= 0[/itex]. It might be the case that (A- 3I)v= 0 for every vector v. In that there are three independent vectors such that Av= 3v and we can use those three vectors as a basis for the vector space. Written in that basis, A would be diagonal:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Or, it might be that (A- 3I)v= 0 only for multiples of a single vector or linear combinations of two vectors. In the first case, it must still be true that [itex](A- 3I)^3u= 0[/itex] for all vectors so we must have, for some vector, u, [itex](A- 3I)v= w\ne 0[/itex] but that [itex](A- 3I)^3v= (A- 3I)^2w= 0[/itex]. Of course that is the same as saying that [itex](A- 3I)^2w[/itex] is a multiple of v, the eigenvector, and so, letting x be (A- 3I)w, (A- 3I)x= v. Those two vectors, x such that (A- 3I)x= v, and w such that (A- I3)w= x, are called "generalized eigenvectors".

Of course, to find the matrix representation of a linear transformation in a given basis, we apply the matrix to each basis vector in turn, writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors, so that the coefficients are the columns of the matrix.

(If you are not aware of that [very important!] fact, suppose A is a linear transformation from a three dimensional vector space to itself. Further, suppose [itex]\{v_1, v_2, v_3\}[/itex] is a basis for that vector space. Then [itex]Av_1[/itex] is a vector in the space and so can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors, say, [itex]Av_1= av_1+ bv_2+ cv_3[/itex]. In that basis, [itex]v_1[/itex] itself is written as the column
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
since [itex]v_1= (1)v_1+ (0)v_2+ (0)v_3[/tex]
Since [itex]Av_1= av_1+ bv_2+ cv_3[/itex], we must have
[tex]Av_1= A\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \\ c\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so obviously, the first column of a must be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ b \\ c\end{bmatrix}[/tex].)

Here, our basis vectors are v, x, and w such that (A- 3I)v= 0, (A- 3I)x= v, and (A- 3I)w= u. From (A- 3I)v= 0, which is the same as Av= 3v+ 0x+ 0w, we see that the first column of the matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

From (A- 3I)x= v, which is the same as Ax= v+ 3x+ 0w, we see that the second column of the matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 3 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Finally, from (A- 3I)w= x, which is the same as Aw= 0v+ x+ 3w, we see that the third column of the matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

so that, in this ordered basis, the linear transformation is represented by the matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Simon_Tyler
Sep13-11, 08:39 PM
P: 313
Thanks HallsofIvy, that was an interesting read. I enjoyed the construction of the matrix from the generalized eigenvectors - I don't remember seeing it that way before.

sponsoredwalk
Sep14-11, 05:40 PM
P: 532
Jordan Normal Form Issues

Great stuff, thanks Halls. Figured out the importance of direct sums and invariant subspaces
today & am alright now.

Register to reply