Jordan Normal Form & Wronskian Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Jordan Normal Form and its use in expressing a non-diagonalizable matrix. The Jordan Normal Form allows for easier multiplication of the matrix and is found by determining its minimal polynomial. The conversation also briefly mentions the computation and use of the derivative of a Wronskian. The speakers are at different levels of understanding and are trying to gain a basic understanding of these concepts.
Master J
I haven' been able to find good explanations of either of these:

Part 1:

Jordan Normal Form: Is this it?

An n*n matrix A is not diagonizable (ie. A=PDP^-1) because it has linearly dependent eigenvectors (no. of eigenvectors is less than n). However, it can be expressed in a similar form A=PJP^-1 , where J is the Jordan Normal Form ie. matrix of eigenvalues on main diagonal and 1's on super diagonal next to duplicate eigenvalues.

If that is correct, what use is this form of A?

Part 2:

How does one compute the derivative of a Wronskian, and what use is this? (I know it must be differentiable since it is a function of differentiable functions)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to multiply a matrix in its Jordan form. So since every complex nxn matrix is similar to a Jordan form, that means we can multiply it easily if we know it's Jordan form. Unfortunately it's not an easy task to determine the Jordan form of a matrix, though we can limit the range of possibilities of its Jordan form if we know it's minimal polynomial.

I'm puzzled as to why you want to take the derivative of a Wronskian.

Thanks for the reply.

However, regarding what you said, a lot of it is beyond my level at this stage. I am just trying to get the basic idea of JNM and what it does.

The derivative of a Wronksian: I know its on my course, and have seen a method for it, but its use is beyond me!

Related to Jordan Normal Form & Wronskian Derivative

1. What is the Jordan Normal Form?

The Jordan Normal Form is a way to represent a square matrix by breaking it down into simpler matrices called Jordan blocks. It is useful for analyzing the properties and behavior of linear transformations.

2. How do you find the Jordan Normal Form of a matrix?

To find the Jordan Normal Form of a matrix, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you find the corresponding eigenvectors and use them to construct the Jordan blocks. The Jordan blocks are then arranged in a specific order to form the Jordan Normal Form.

3. What is the Wronskian derivative?

The Wronskian derivative is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix consisting of the functions and their derivatives.

4. How do you calculate the Wronskian derivative?

To calculate the Wronskian derivative, you first need to write the given functions as columns of a matrix. Then, take the derivatives of each function and add them as additional columns to the matrix. Finally, take the determinant of the matrix to get the Wronskian derivative.

5. What is the significance of the Jordan Normal Form and Wronskian derivative in mathematics?

The Jordan Normal Form and Wronskian derivative are important concepts in linear algebra and differential equations, respectively. They provide a way to simplify and analyze complex systems and help in solving various mathematical problems. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.