Light Based Hearing

by Zackhood88
Tags: bio-mechanic, general ideas, light, sound
Zackhood88
Oct11-11, 08:28 PM
P: 1
Ok, I am not even remotely a physicist. However I did have this thought.
Is it possible to hear with your eyes. Can a device be rendered in such a way to transmit light so that when the eyes saw it, that it would be interpreted as Audio not video so to speak.

Just general curiosity!

Any comments are welcome. Even the "Your a moron" kind
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
DaveC426913
Oct11-11, 08:53 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by Zackhood88 View Post
Ok, I am not even remotely a physicist. However I did have this thought.
Is it possible to hear with your eyes. Can a device be rendered in such a way to transmit light so that when the eyes saw it, that it would be interpreted as Audio not video so to speak.

Just general curiosity!

Any comments are welcome. Even the "Your a moron" kind
Thanks
Sure. Depends on how much and how intrusively you want to rewire the brain.

A less intrusive thing to do would be to set up cameras that see ahead, then convert that signal into an audio tone - or better yet, a haptic (touch) pattern. The reason touch would be better than hearing is that touch, like sight, is a 2-dimensional plane, whereas hearing is one-dimensional.
TheOtherDave
Oct11-11, 09:38 PM
P: 15
I might be interpreting your question a bit too literally, but you'd have to give your eyes a serious upgrade before you could see the vibrations in the air.

DaveC426913
Oct11-11, 09:42 PM
P: 15,325

Light Based Hearing

Quote Quote by TheOtherDave View Post
I might be interpreting your question a bit too literally, but you'd have to give your eyes a serious upgrade before you could see the vibrations in the air.
If you were to take his question literally, you will see that he presumes that what the eyes will be detecting is light ("..transmit light so that when the eyes saw it.."), but that it is only after the light is detected that it is interpreted as audio.
Evo
Oct11-11, 09:50 PM
Mentor
P: 25,925
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Sure. Depends on how much and how intrusively you want to rewire the brain.
I'm pretty sure the brain would need to be re-wired as in a synesthete.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/mar01/synesthesia.aspx

My oldest daughter sees numbers as colors. My youngest sees geometric shapes in everything.
Ryan_m_b
Oct12-11, 04:02 AM
Mentor
P: 5,341
Years ago a friend of mines mum who works in a drosophila lab produced a lineage where the visual and smell processing was reversed. They saw smells and smelt colours apparently though I have no idea how they did this or how they knew it was done correctly.
TheOtherDave
Oct12-11, 12:59 PM
P: 15
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
If you were to take his question literally, you will see that he presumes that what the eyes will be detecting is light ("..transmit light so that when the eyes saw it.."), but that it is only after the light is detected that it is interpreted as audio.
Hmm... It is possible that I might not have interpreted his question literally enough...

Register to reply