Unknown light-based Phenomenon

In summary: This statement does not make logical sense to me - not sure if this is what you meant.In summary, according to the author, the dark horizontal bands that are visible on a video when the LED light is shone directly on the camera phone are caused by the LED light being polarized, the camera shutter frequency being matched to the LED light's frequency, and the LED light's power being matched to the camera's power.
AFG
Can you help me figure out how this light-based phenomenon works? Please explain with an intuitive answer using the simplest principles possible.

Note how the location and width of the dark horizontal bands is constant with respect to the edge of the video frame.

The LED light looks normal enough to the human eye, but this effect is viewable through a phone camera and the effect was reproduced on another person's phone camera as well. I can think of 3 things that might contribute to this effect.

1. LEDs are usually dimmed by cycling the LEDs on and off quickly so that the human eye sees something like the average light intensity being emitted. The cycling frequency seemed very high, or at least smooth- I didn't see any strobe effects through my eyes when I shook my head from side to side. If the cycle frequency was low I would have seen some bright afterimage trails "burned" into my eyes.

2. I imagine that your average phone camera acquires frames at a certain frequency. This and perhaps the physics/protocol of light sensing might have an effect.

3. The software post-processing of the video could contribute to this effect. This post-processing effect would have to be common across different phones for this to be the case though.

Thank for any input!

Science news on Phys.org
I wonder if the LED light is polarized and that particular dark band is somehow perpendicular-polarized to the LED light?

Perhaps its the brightness from outside that is affecting how the camera.

It could be related to LED flickering as you mentioned:

Folks recommend changing the shutter speed to match the flickering.

Grinkle said:
I wonder if the LED light is polarized and that particular dark band is somehow perpendicular-polarized to the LED light?
That's interesting you could use polarized sunglasses to check this theory.

jedishrfu said:
That's interesting you could use polarized sunglasses to check this theory.

@AFG To test, take a pair of polarized sunglasses and rotate them while looking through the lens at the LED light. If you see the LED light go dark at some rotation of the sunglasses, the LED light is polarized.

Grinkle said:
@AFG To test, take a pair of polarized sunglasses and rotate them while looking through the lens at the LED light. If you see the LED light go dark at some rotation of the sunglasses, the LED light is polarized.

You see this effect on computer flat screens. Some screens are polarized diagonally (45 degree sunglass tilt) and others vertically ie they go dark when you tilt the sunglasses by 90 degrees.

The dark band seems to be present to the left of the lights as well, although less prominent.

If it comes from cycling the LEDs (+rolling shutter effect), it would be surprising that the frequency matches the recording frequency.

mfb said:
If it comes from cycling the LEDs (+rolling shutter effect), it would be surprising that the frequency matches the recording frequency.

did you mean "wouldn't be surprising"

It was also my initial thought when I watched the video before reading any responses
That there is an effect occurring because of the interaction of the LED power/light osc. and the shutter activationDave

davenn said:
did you mean "wouldn't be surprising"
No.
Why should the frequencies match?

mfb said:
Why should the frequencies match?

they may not, but if they did or were close then there could easily be a beat signal created from the mixing
that is giving rise to the bandsD

davenn said:
they may not

The bands in the image seem fixed relative to the camera image sensor edges. If the frequencies are not matched, I think the bands would move relative to the edges of the image sensor.

Grinkle said:
The bands in the image seem fixed relative to the camera image sensor edges. If the frequencies are not matched, I think the bands would move relative to the edges of the image sensor.

indeed, which further supports my idea that the 2 freq's are matched

this phenomena can also be seen aiming a video camera at a TV screen ... don't know if the new LCD screens show it, but the old CRT screens did

davenn said:
indeed, which further supports my idea that the 2 freq's are matched

If the bands are caused by frequency matching, then the frequencies match so closely that the eye can detect no mis-match. This statement makes logcical sense to me.

If the bands do not move, then it is likely that the bands are caused by frequency matching. This statement does not make logical sense to me - not sure if this is what you meant.

As far as I know, the clock in the camera is free-running with respect to the clock in the LED controller. It is very hard to impossible to make free running clocks match each other exactly.

davenn said:
this phenomena can also be seen aiming a video camera at a TV screen

The bands move because the frequencies are not exact integer multiples of each other.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/mpeg/q336.mpg

1. What causes unknown light-based phenomenon?

The exact cause of unknown light-based phenomenon is still unknown and under scientific investigation. Some theories suggest natural phenomena such as atmospheric conditions or light refraction, while others suggest extraterrestrial or supernatural origins.

2. How are unknown light-based phenomenon studied and observed?

Scientists use various tools and methods to study and observe unknown light-based phenomenon. These may include telescopes, satellites, cameras, and specialized instruments designed to measure and analyze light wavelengths and patterns.

3. Are there any documented cases of unknown light-based phenomenon?

Yes, there are numerous documented cases of unknown light-based phenomenon, often referred to as "UFO sightings" or "unidentified aerial phenomena." These cases are recorded and investigated by scientists, government agencies, and amateur researchers.

4. Can unknown light-based phenomenon be explained by natural occurrences?

While some unknown light-based phenomenon can be explained by natural occurrences such as meteor showers or lightning, there are still many cases that remain unexplained. Further research and investigation are needed to determine the true nature of these phenomena.

5. How does the study of unknown light-based phenomenon contribute to scientific knowledge?

Studying unknown light-based phenomenon allows scientists to expand their understanding of light and its properties, as well as explore potential new forms of energy and communication. It also opens up possibilities for discovering new species or forms of life that may exist beyond our current understanding.