A good chemistry book

by daniel_i_l
Tags: book, chemistry
Share this thread:
daniel_i_l
Jan18-08, 06:10 AM
PF Gold
P: 867
I didn't really learn chemistry in HS but I need to know the basics for a thermodynamics course. I have the option to take a chemistry course but I don't have the time. So I started to read a HS chemistry book but it was all so ad hoc that I didn't feel as if I'd learnt anything - it was more like memorizing lists of facts and so I forgot most of it after a month. Can anyone recommend a beginners chemistry book that also gives you an understanding of how things work? It should also be good for a self-study with problems and stuff.
Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists create nanofibers using unprecedented new method
Nanostructured metal-oxide catalyst efficiently converts CO2 to methanol (w/ Video)
Researchers discover low-grade nonwoven cotton picks up 50 times own weight of oil
Werg22
Jan18-08, 11:18 AM
P: 1,520
I don't think there's a book quite as good as Pauling's. I've used Zumdahl, Silberberg and a couple of others, so I can say this with some degree of authority. It's a Dover publication, it's very cheap. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Chemis...0676554&sr=8-1
Barfolumu
Jan23-08, 11:27 AM
P: 65
I can offer my current General Chem text book. Downside: He isn't very clear on the mathematical portions, sometimes. But I struggle with math more than I struggle with concepts once the math is learned. Plus, it is a college text book, so it's a bit on the pricey side. Upside: It's pretty thorough, and remains general throughout the book, giving an overview of several branches of Chemistry. The index is good, and there are answers to problems in the back of the book. The questions he asks are pretty rigorous, but suplemented by questions mid-chapter, that test your knowledge on the section you just read. Plus, I think their is online support, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry I can't offer more. I'm just a student, as well.

Omar_88
Jan23-08, 12:43 PM
P: 1
A good chemistry book

If you want some good chemistry books,don't buy 'em.
I find most books somewhat expensive.
Instead,try finding some ebooks or chemistry sites.

If you want I can send you somegood links and ****.Just send me a message.
kenvin100
Feb3-08, 09:35 AM
P: 8
u can always try to use a torrent to find pdf files of chem textbooks..but there are book stores that mite sell used old chem books..the content is great for a cheap price..

there rly isnt one stop shop for it though
Eleeesa
Oct22-11, 08:56 PM
P: 1
Maybe try the book Chemistry for Everyone. It's more of a high-school level introduction and will give you the basics so that the textbook stuff will be easier to understand. Most of chemistry is easy but a lot of the textbooks make it harder than it needs to be. Should be able to get it cheap on amazon. Good luck!

Register to reply