Need help using Ion Electron Method in acidic conditions.

In summary, the conversation is about using the Ion Electron Method to solve the chemical equation MnO4- + C2O42- -> Mn2+ + CO2 under acidic conditions. The steps taken include balancing oxygen atoms with H2O, adding hydrogen atoms, balancing electrons, and combining the two equations. The final balanced equation is 2MnO4- + 28H+ + 3C2O42- -> 2Mn2+ + 14H2O + 3CO2. The person is unsure if there are any other steps needed to be taken and is seeking help.
thyrgle
Using the Ion Electron Method (acidic conditions) I need to solve:

MnO4- + C2O42- -> Mn2+ + CO2

So I tried doing:

MnO4- -> Mn2+

And:

C2O42- -> CO2 + 2H2O

Then I balanced the oxygen atoms with H2O

MnO4- -> Mn2+ + 4H2O

And:

C2O42- -> CO2 + 2H2O

Then I added the hydrogen atoms:

MnO4- + 8H+ -> Mn2+ + 4H2O

And:

C2O42- + 4H+ -> CO2 + 2H2O

Then I tried balancing the electrons and I got -3e for the first equation and -2e for the second. Then I tried combining the two:

2MnO4- + 16H+ +
3C2O42- + 12H+ -> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 3CO2 + 6H2O

Cancel out the H+ and H2O:

2MnO4- + 28H+ +
3C2O42- -> 2Mn2+ + 14H2O + 3CO2

I don't know if there is something else I should do (which I suspect there is but I can't tell), and I think I am doing something wrong because my answer didn't turn out right. Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
thyrgle said:
C2O42- -> CO2 + 2H2O

You should balance carbon first. H2O - if needed - should appear in the next step.

1. How do I balance redox reactions using the Ion Electron Method in acidic conditions?

To balance a redox reaction using the Ion Electron Method in acidic conditions, follow these steps:

• Write the unbalanced equation and assign oxidation states to each element.
  • Identify the element that is being oxidized and reduced.
  • Separate the reaction into two half-reactions, one for oxidation and one for reduction.
  • Balance the atoms in each half-reaction by adding water molecules to balance oxygen atoms and hydrogen ions (H+) to balance hydrogen atoms.
  • Balance the charges in each half-reaction by adding electrons (e-) to the more positive side.
  • Multiply the half-reactions by the smallest number to make the number of electrons equal in both reactions.
  • Add together the balanced half-reactions and simplify to obtain the balanced overall reaction.

2. What is the purpose of using the Ion Electron Method in acidic conditions?

The Ion Electron Method is used to balance redox reactions in acidic conditions because it takes into account the presence of hydrogen ions (H+) in the reaction, which can affect the oxidation states of the elements involved.

3. Can the Ion Electron Method be used in basic conditions as well?

Yes, the Ion Electron Method can also be used to balance redox reactions in basic conditions. The only difference is that in basic conditions, hydroxide ions (OH-) are used instead of hydrogen ions (H+) to balance the charges in the half-reactions.

4. How do I know if a redox reaction is occurring in acidic conditions?

A redox reaction in acidic conditions is characterized by the presence of hydrogen ions (H+) and the change in oxidation states of the elements involved in the reaction. This can be determined by assigning oxidation states to each element and comparing them before and after the reaction.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Ion Electron Method in acidic conditions?

One limitation of using the Ion Electron Method in acidic conditions is that it may not be suitable for reactions involving complex molecules or ions. In such cases, other methods, such as the Half-Reaction Method, may be more appropriate.