Redox titration (calculating percent iron in sample)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of the percentage of iron in a sample of iron ore. The iron is converted to Fe2+ and then titrated with KMnO4. The correct answer should be 45.3%, but the student initially got 22.6% due to an error in the redox reaction for Fe. The student also asks for help in balancing a redox reaction involving IBr and BrO3-.
philtered

Homework Statement

A mass of iron ore weighing 0.2792g was dissolved in dilute acid and all the iron was converted to Fe2+(aq). The iron II solution required 23.30ml of 0.0194M KMnO4 for titration. Calculate the percentage of iron in the ore.

Homework Equations

Wrote out my redox reactions:
MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- ---> Mn2+ + 4H2O (2)
Fe ---> Fe2+ + 2e- (5)
2MnO4- + 16H+ + 5Fe ---> 2Mn2+ + 8H2O + 5Fe2+

The Attempt at a Solution

0.0194M KMnO4 [0.02330L][5mol Fe/2 mol MnO4][55.85g/1mol Fe] = 0.0631g Fe

0.0631g/0.2792g X 100 = 22.6%Seems like an easy enough question, done several like it before but somethings not right, the correct answer should be 45.3%
Edit: Figured it out, my redox reaction for Fe was wrong, should have been [Fe2+ ---> Fe3+ + e-] which change the moles used in calculations. Still need help on my 2nd question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another redox question

Homework Statement

Write required reactions:

Homework Equations

Redox Reaction: IBr + BrO3- ---> IO3- + Br- (in acid)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the steps to doing these, balance centrals atoms, balance O using H2O, and balancing H using H+. I'm just not sure what to do with the Br in writing the first half reaction.

IBr ---> IO3- (I tried to balance this out by adding Br2 to left side, I know that's not right but I'm just not sure how to balance this otherwise)
BrO3- ---> Br-

After writing these out I did the normal steps but obviously my answer didn't work out. Can someone help with point me in the right direction on balancing Br in first half?

1. What is redox titration?

Redox titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the amount or concentration of a substance by measuring the amount of a reactant it reacts with.

2. How is redox titration used to calculate percent iron in a sample?

In redox titration, a known amount of a reducing agent is added to the sample, which contains iron ions. The reducing agent reacts with the iron ions, causing them to change color. By measuring the volume of the reducing agent used to reach the endpoint, the amount of iron in the sample can be calculated and expressed as a percentage.

3. What is the purpose of using an indicator in redox titration?

An indicator is used in redox titration to signal the endpoint of the reaction. The indicator changes color when the reaction is complete, allowing for accurate measurement and calculation of the amount of substance being analyzed.

4. How does the choice of indicator affect the accuracy of redox titration?

The choice of indicator is crucial in redox titration as it must have a clear and distinguishable color change at the endpoint. Using an indicator with a weak color change or one that reacts with the sample can result in inaccurate measurements and calculations.

5. What are some common sources of error in redox titration for calculating percent iron in a sample?

Some common sources of error in redox titration include improper calibration of equipment, contamination of the sample, incorrect measurement of volumes, and the presence of other substances that can interfere with the reaction. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and properly handle and prepare the sample to minimize these errors.