Hardware VPN uses / detectability

• Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardware
In summary, VPN technology is less shielding than what I have been reading and a hardware VPN is what I am looking for.
lax1113
Hello guys,
I have recently been looking into VPN technology and my limited computer knowledge seems to lead me to believe that a hardware VPN >>> software/website VPN as far as it being secure for not showing the users true location. My interest in a VPN is to be able to be at location X and use the internet appearing to be from location Y. So is a hardware VPN what I am looking for or is a VPN less shielding than I have been reading.

Thanks

edit : Also, I don't want this post to seem suspicious so if anyone has advice/can help but wants to know my exact reasoning for wanting a VPN that is no issue at all I only ask that we discuss it via PM.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
A VPN is a virtual private network. These are used to emulate a LAN (local area network) over the internet (with some level of encryption to protect the virtual LAN). What you're looking for is a fake or anonymous proxy. There are websites that do this, but I'm not sure how this works, does all communication go through the proxy website, or does the website just act as a DHCP and assign your computer a new ip, assuming this ip could be used without encountering issues with your ISP (internet service provider).

I do recall working for a corporation in the USA that used a French ISP. I'm not sure how it worked, but all the companies ip addresses appeared to come from France.

Thanks for your response rc, I was under the impression that proxies were really easy to detect (again I don't really know much about all of this) and I just knew that using a VPN was an idea that I had heard thrown around before.

lax1113 said:
Thanks for your response rc, I was under the impression that proxies were really easy to detect (again I don't really know much about all of this) and I just knew that using a VPN was an idea that I had heard thrown around before.
A VPN sets up "temporary" connections between at least two physically separate locations.

Perhaps an explanation of what a VPN is will help answer your question.

Definition of: VPN

(Virtual Private Network) A private network that is configured within a public network (a carrier's network or the Internet) in order to take advantage of the economies of scale and management facilities of large networks. VPNs are widely used by enterprises to create wide area networks (WANs) that span large geographic areas, to provide site-to-site connections to branch offices and to allow mobile users to dial up their company LANs.

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t%3DVPN&i%3D54123,00.asp

I design these (as well as more traditional data networks) for a living. It's not what you are looking for although if you accessed the internet at a location other than yours via a VPN, yes you would appear to be at the location of the internet connection. I agree with rcgldr.

Evo,
Thank you very much for your response. My intentions are to have a computer at a designated location, Y, and for me to be able to use my computer at location X but appear to be at Y. I will be looking into this further since it seems like the consensus is that a VPN is not what will satisfy my needs, greatly appreciate your response.

lax1113 said:
Evo,
Thank you very much for your response. My intentions are to have a computer at a designated location, Y, and for me to be able to use my computer at location X but appear to be at Y. I will be looking into this further since it seems like the consensus is that a VPN is not what will satisfy my needs, greatly appreciate your response.
If you have two locations, and the internet connection is at the location you wish to appear to be at, then you could remotely connect to that computer and go out the internet there. It just depends if you want to go to the trouble of setting it up.

Try this, it has links to tutorials, it may not be that difficult for what you need. I only do complex corporate VPN's, this is more for the "do it yourself, personal vpn". I also googled "personal VPN", and there are sites offering it, but I can't say if any of them are trustworthy.

Last edited:

1. What is a hardware VPN and how does it differ from a software VPN?

A hardware VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a type of VPN that uses physical devices, such as routers or firewalls, to create a secure connection between two or more networks. Software VPNs, on the other hand, use software applications to establish a secure connection. Hardware VPNs are generally considered more secure and efficient than software VPNs, but they also tend to be more expensive.

2. What are the main uses of a hardware VPN?

A hardware VPN is commonly used to connect remote offices or employees to a central network, allowing them to access resources and data as if they were physically present in the same location. It can also be used to securely connect multiple branch offices within a larger organization, or to provide secure remote access for employees working from home.

3. How does a hardware VPN ensure security for data transmission?

A hardware VPN uses various security protocols, such as IPsec (Internet Protocol Security) or SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), to encrypt data as it is transmitted between networks. This ensures that any sensitive information, such as login credentials or financial data, is protected from unauthorized access.

4. Can a hardware VPN be detected by outside parties?

While it is possible for a hardware VPN to be detected, it is generally difficult for outside parties to do so. This is because the VPN connection is encrypted and the data transmission appears as regular internet traffic. However, advanced techniques such as deep packet inspection may be able to identify and block VPN connections.

5. What are some potential downsides or limitations of using a hardware VPN?

One potential downside of a hardware VPN is the cost, as purchasing and maintaining the necessary hardware can be expensive. Additionally, hardware VPNs may also require technical expertise to set up and configure properly. There may also be limitations on the number of devices that can be connected to the VPN, or on the bandwidth available for data transmission.