Why does my device periodically disconnect from wifi?

fog37
TL;DR Summary
understand why one of my devices periodically disconnects from the home wifi network
Hello,

I have a wifi device that has been connecting with no issues to my local wifi: it first detected the local wifi and I then used the password to complete the connection....
However, one day recently, the device disconnected from the wifi. After some reading, it seems that either low wifi signal or interference could cause a device to disconnect...But my device is always located in the same place and does not move. So if the wifi signal power was good in the past, it should continue to be good and sufficient in the present...Also, interference would not seem to be the issue since there aren't any other devices connected to wifi in the same room or other rooms....

What other cause could lead to my device to randomly disconnect from the wifi and then struggle to refind the SSID?

thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's at least possible that a local, stronger, signal is causing your problem. Do you live near a commercial area? Are any of your neighbors experiencing any problems? Has anyone around you recently installed any new heavy-duty electrical equipment? A minor power surge (caused by turning on and/or operating electrical equipment) could be the source of your issue.

Likes fog37
You could try recording the time of each outage to see just how periodic it is.

I know my service provider does a reset around 2am every evening.

Likes fog37
phinds said:
It's at least possible that a local, stronger, signal is causing your problem. Do you live near a commercial area? Are any of your neighbors experiencing any problems? Has anyone around you recently installed any new heavy-duty electrical equipment? A minor power surge (caused by turning on and/or operating electrical equipment) could be the source of your issue.
I see, so a minor power surge could make the device drop the connection...interesting....
Assuming that may be the cause, is there any way to prevent it?

The disconnection does not happen periodically at all. All was fine for weeks and then the device got disconnected. Tried to reconnect it, could not find the SSID...I restarted the router and everything works again (found SSID, entered pwd, and was back in the game)...

fog37 said:
there aren't any other devices connected to wifi in the same room or other rooms....
I don't live in an apartment; I have a house. My phone - not the best Wifi receiver - sees 4 available networks in range. My laptop, also not the best, sees 11. There may be more interference than you think.

Likes fog37
A link process in the data-path may be disconnected, then quickly reconnected, to prevent a timeout of the link process. That may happen automatically, say every 10 minutes. A problem arises with network congestion, when the reestablishment of the link process is delayed. If reestablishment takes longer than the timeout of the data stream, the link will be missing when required, so the broken connection will be dropped.

How often does it happen?
Does it only happen during periods of network congestion?

Likes fog37
To get essential 2FA texts to this 'Desk With No Bars', I had to hang a 'Tamed & Tethered' WTE /WAP/Router in a window with signal, link via Cat_5 to my base router.
Okay at first, WTE's SIM would 'Go Dark' at random, ranging from days to fortnight apart. Device did not lose settings, just access to local SMS. A power off/pause/on sufficed to restore. I was advised to add a simple time-switch, to power-down the WTE for ¼ or ½ hour a day, preferably after 0100 to allow for 'Summer Time' etc.
That worked...

Likes fog37
Baluncore said:
A link process in the data-path may be disconnected, then quickly reconnected, to prevent a timeout of the link process. That may happen automatically, say every 10 minutes. A problem arises with network congestion, when the reestablishment of the link process is delayed. If reestablishment takes longer than the timeout of the data stream, the link will be missing when required, so the broken connection will be dropped.

How often does it happen?
Does it only happen during periods of network congestion?
Hello, the issue happened only once. It does not happen periodically. I managed to connect it initially and it worked fine. IT then disconnected unexplainably on its own. I tried to reconnect it but no luck (spinning), could not find the SSID it was able to find previously. I proceeded to restart the router and the device immediately and easily found the SSID and got connected again...

I was curious to know what would cause that. The conditions seemed to be exactly the same (no new wifi devices around, device positioned where it originally was, etc.)

Thank you!

fog37 said:
Hello, the issue happened only once. It does not happen periodically.
Give it time. It may become a recurring nuisance, or never happen again.
If it does repeat, gather as much information as you can about the circumstances.

Has the wifi router hardware changed? I had the latest Verizon FIOS router, and certain bands of wifi (2.4 GHz, that is used by most smarthome devices) intermittently stopped working unless I rebooted the router. After trying to deal with Verizon, I finally turned the wifi off in Verizon's router and bought a Google wifi router instead (attaching it to Verizon's box just to reach the internet). My intermittent connection problems were over. It's not that the 2.4GHz band doesn't still fail with the Google device, but that router detects the failure and restarts itself.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. Why does my device keep disconnecting from the WiFi network?

This issue can be caused by several factors including weak WiFi signal strength, interference from other wireless devices, outdated device drivers, or issues with your router or modem. It's important to check the signal strength and ensure your device drivers are up to date as initial troubleshooting steps.

2. Could the problem be related to my WiFi router?

Yes, often the router can be the source of the problem. It might be due to outdated firmware, overheating, or needing a restart. Check for any firmware updates available for your router and ensure it is placed in a ventilated area to avoid overheating. Restarting your router can also resolve temporary connectivity issues.

3. How does interference from other devices affect my WiFi connection?

Interference can be a significant factor, especially in areas with many overlapping WiFi networks or electronic devices. Devices like microwaves, cordless phones, and Bluetooth speakers can interfere with WiFi signals. Try to minimize interference by changing your WiFi channel through your router settings or moving your router away from other electronic devices.

4. Is there a way to prevent my device from disconnecting from the WiFi?

Preventing disconnections can involve several steps: ensuring your router firmware is up-to-date, using a WiFi analyzer tool to find the best channel with the least interference, and possibly upgrading your router or WiFi adapter if they are outdated. Additionally, setting a static IP address for your devices can sometimes help stabilize the connection.

5. Should I consider upgrading my WiFi equipment?

If you frequently experience connectivity issues and your equipment is several years old, it might be time to consider an upgrade. Newer routers offer better performance, stronger signal strength, and features like dual-band connectivity which can significantly enhance your WiFi experience. Additionally, modern WiFi standards like WiFi 6 provide improved efficiency and support for more devices.