Register to reply

How to distinguish the charge carry by different object after rub by something?

by henry407
Tags: carry, charge, distinguish, object
Share this thread:
henry407
Nov21-11, 04:19 AM
P: 17
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
How to distinguish the charge carry by different object after rub by different things??

2. Relevant equations
Nope~

3. The attempt at a solution
I do the experiment in the school, but every group got different answers,. So I hope someone chould give me the theory about my question, thanks~~
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Simon Bridge
Nov21-11, 07:55 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,447
Please describe the experiment.

Historically it has been very difficult to determine the charge that gets transferred when different items get rubbed. Initialy it was thought that there were two kinds of electricity - the kind you get rubbing resin and plastic, and the kind you get rubbing glass.

Careful experimentation can show you that these two are opposites of the same thing - so that it is useful to think of one as the presence of something and the other it's absence. However, which it was took a long time to work out.

Wikipedia has an overview and history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_charge

Register to reply