Can a neutral insulator be attracted to a charged object?

In summary, the conversation discusses a multiple choice question about a neutral object being attracted to an electrically charged rod. The answer key states that the correct answer is A, but the teacher questions if it should actually be B or C. The teacher then explains the concept of induced charge separation and how it relates to conductors and insulators, referencing a link about polarization. It is concluded that the correct answer is actually C, as both conductors and insulators can experience some level of electron shifting when attracted to a charged object.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Hi all. I'm a teacher and one of my students asked me a question I couldn't answer today. It's a multiple choice question:

A neutral object is attracted to an electrically charged rod. The two are not touching. The neutral object:

A. is a conductor
B. is an insulator
C. could be either a conductor or an insulator

The answer key said A is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Reasoning of the answer key:
  • The neutral object is attracted to the rod because of an induced charge separation within the object.
  • Induced charge separations involve electrons shifting within the object.
  • In an insulator, electrons are fixed in place and cannot shift, so this object must be a conductor. Thus the answer is A.
However, earlier in the course, I showed the students that a charged rod can attract neutral pieces of paper. Paper is an insulator... so what gives? Is it just a bad test question?

Here is my guess: Perhaps within insulators you can still have some electron shifting, enough to attract them to charged things. However maybe the attraction would be weak. For a conductor there would be a lot more electron shifting and a stronger attraction. So should the answer to the test question actually be B?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good question, but answer A is the wrong answer. As you noted (and demonstrated), insulators are attracted to charged objects. The shifting of charge in an insulator corresponds to polarization of molecules.
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/estatics/Lesson-1/Polarization

jumbogala said:
So should the answer to the test question actually be B?
What about C?

Likes jumbogala
TSny said:
It's a good question, but answer A is the wrong answer. As you noted (and demonstrated), insulators are attracted to charged objects. The shifting of charge in an insulator corresponds to polarization of molecules.
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/estatics/Lesson-1/Polarization

What about C?
Thanks for the link - it explains perfectly. So in a conductor, the shifting of charges corresponds to the "electron sea" in metals being more concentrated on one end of the object compared to the other. However, in an insulator, the electrons still stay with their molecules, but each molecule is polarized, which can lead to an attraction.

Oops - yes, the answer should be C! I wasn't being careful when I chose B.

Likes TSny

1. Can a neutral insulator be attracted to a charged object?

Yes, a neutral insulator can be attracted to a charged object. This is because, even though insulators do not conduct electricity, they can still develop a slight temporary charge when placed near a charged object.

2. What is the difference between a neutral insulator and a charged insulator?

A neutral insulator has an equal number of positive and negative charges, meaning that its overall charge is neutral. A charged insulator, on the other hand, has an unequal number of positive and negative charges, giving it an overall charge.

3. Can a neutral insulator become charged when placed near a charged object?

Yes, a neutral insulator can become charged when placed near a charged object. This is because the charged object can induce a temporary charge in the neutral insulator, causing it to become either positively or negatively charged.

4. How does a neutral insulator interact with a charged object?

A neutral insulator can interact with a charged object through induction or conduction. In induction, the charged object causes the charges in the neutral insulator to temporarily separate, creating an attractive force between the two objects. In conduction, the charged object can transfer some of its charge to the neutral insulator, giving it a temporary charge and causing an attractive force.

5. Why do neutral insulators have an overall neutral charge?

Neutral insulators have an overall neutral charge because they contain equal numbers of positive and negative charges. This ensures that the total charge of the insulator is neutral, meaning it will not be attracted to or repelled by other charged objects.