What is the Origin of Electric Charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the origin and explanation of electric charge, comparing it to the search for the Higgs Boson and its role in mass. Various theories and theories of theories are mentioned, with the idea that the true answer may still be unknown and may require further investigation. The participants also acknowledge that "I don't know" is a valid answer in science and that any theories must be supported by peer-reviewed documentation.
bm0p700f
I have to say a lot of the physics discussd in this section is a little beyond me but that does not stop me thinking.

Given the search for the Higgs Boson which allows mass to exist it has occurred to me what is the origin of the electric charge. Surely as mass is property with an origin what is there to explain the origins of charge? I have not been able to find much as of yet hense the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the search for the Higgs Boson which allows mass to exist it has occurred to me what is the origin of the electric charge.
Charged virtual particles of course. There are lots of them. But the coulomb force is mediated by photons.

If you are wondering where the charges virtual particles get their charge from, then you should also wonder where the Higgs boson get's its mass. It is difficult to use plain language to describe the concepts here without ending up with a circular argument.

Here's another popular try:
http://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=525

Last edited:
There is no answer then, which is what I thought. I just wondered if there was some sort of theory to try to explain this that I was unaware of.

Circular arguements are pointless anyway.

There are a bunch of them ... iirc: there's one that charge is a result of a dimension that is curled up very tight for example. Nothing has stuck so far - whereas the Higgs theory has stuck for mass... so far.

I remember that now. It that something to do with gravity in a fifth dimension behaving like EM. I cannot remember the theory now it had some K's in it.

kaluza klein.

if you could make an instrument that would be able to observe a photons interactions, you would potentially be able to answer that question, maybe with a neutrino gun and some electrons?

Most of them are like that - what we are modelling as "charge" is an emergent behavior.
Also - where does color-charge come from?

It seems to bother people that "I don't know" is a valid answer in Science.

I suspect that advancing any particular theory about the origin of charge, without peer-reviewed supporting documentation, would be against the rules.

i wasn't planning on any breakthroughs but it isn't outside of our capabilities. we stumbled upon the atoms and quarks by investigations, and will one day stumble upon the origins of charge one way or another, unless war or natural disasters will take us, which it just looks like they will

What is the origin of electric charge?

The origin of electric charge is still not fully understood by scientists. It is believed that electric charge is a fundamental property of matter, meaning it cannot be broken down into smaller components. Some theories suggest that electric charge is created through the interaction of subatomic particles, such as protons and electrons.

Is electric charge a conserved quantity?

Yes, electric charge is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. In any closed system, the total amount of electric charge remains constant.

What is the difference between positive and negative electric charge?

Positive and negative electric charge are two opposite forms of electric charge. Positive charge is associated with protons, while negative charge is associated with electrons. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

Can electric charge be transferred from one object to another?

Yes, electric charge can be transferred from one object to another. This is known as charging by conduction or charging by induction. In charging by conduction, the objects come into direct contact with each other, while in charging by induction, the objects interact without coming into direct contact.

What is the role of electric charge in everyday life?

Electric charge plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, from powering our electronic devices to facilitating communication through the use of electricity. It also plays a role in the functioning of our nervous system and the transportation of nutrients and waste in our bodies.