Current Research on the Origin of Electric Charge

In summary: I'm not sure though.In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of electric charge and the interest in researching it further. The concept of electric charge as an axiom and its relation to weak hypercharge and weak isospin are mentioned. The idea of quantization and the search for a deeper understanding of fundamental interactions is also brought up. Suggestions are given for areas of research related to this topic, such as Topological Quantum Field Theories and the study of homotopy groups of Lie groups. The question of why charge is quantized is also raised.
ThomGunn
Hello!

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this but here is a go.

I'm currently applying to graduate schools and I know that I am interested in theoretical particle physics and condensed matter theory. In electricity and magnetism we were told that charge is an axiom and it's not really known where charge comes from, this notion has been incredibly interesting to me and I'd like to see if anyone is actively researching this topic. From my research and courses I know it's a relativistic invariant and thus there isn't a lot of interest in finding out where it comes from.

My question is does anyone know of any physicist at universities/research programs that are currently working on this problem or something similar?

I will be very thankful for any information anyone has

Physics news on Phys.org
ThomGunn said:

Surely we "know" where electric charge comes from: it's a conserved current corresponding to a combination of weak hypercharge and weak isospin which is not broken by electroweak symmetry breaking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroweak_interaction

Now, of course, you'd ask "what is the origin of weak hypercharge and weak isospin?"

nikkkom said:
Now, of course, you'd ask "what is the origin of weak hypercharge and weak isospin?"

Turtles, all the way down.

To the OP: I think you want to look into people who are trying to construct Beyond Standard Model theories of particle physics.

Isn't it a more question to ask why it's quantized? or not?
I haven't noticed so far where the quantization (|Q|=0,1/3, 2/3,1) gets into the game when breaking EW symmetry...

ThomGunn said:
Hello!

My question is does anyone know of any physicist at universities/research programs that are currently working on this problem or something similar?

Although the electric charge itself is not (directly) a topological number, your question often comes up in the study of Topological Quantum Field Theories (TQFT). So, you need to look into people who work on the following (key words) problems in TQFT:
1) Homotopy groups of Lie groups, 2) Topological Invariants, 3) (Extended) Poincare’ Lemma, 4) Soliton, Instanton and Monopoles.
And, you can always ask questions in here, I always have few words to say about TQFT.

ThomGunn said:
[...] In electricity and magnetism we were told that charge is an axiom and it's not really known where charge comes from, this notion has been incredibly interesting to me and I'd like to see if anyone is actively researching this topic. From my research and courses I know it's a relativistic invariant and thus there isn't a lot of interest in finding out where it comes from.
Are you proficient in the theory behind the notion that "elementary particles can be classified according to the unitary irreducible representations (unirreps) of the Poincare group" (and also the unirreps of certain gauge groups) ?

Maybe you've heard about how some types of elementary particles transform differently from others under a parity reversal?

Electric charge arises from a similar idea when the complex-conjugate of a representation is not equivalent to the original one. Think about how electrons and positrons transform under a gauge (phase) transformation. Of course, there's more to it than that, since we get fractional charges when other interactions and quarks are considered.

The big question, then, is why the fundamental interactions are what they are (if that question even has an answer, or deeper foundation). People have been attacking that "grand challenge" for decades, without much success. Good luck. :D[Edit:] ... and now I sit back and wait for dextercioby to nit-pick my answer. :p

ChrisVer said:
Isn't it a more question to ask why it's quantized? or not?
I haven't noticed so far where the quantization (|Q|=0,1/3, 2/3,1) gets into the game when breaking EW symmetry...

I don't believe it does. I think this is one of the motivations for grand unified theories, since if the U(1)_Y comes from a larger gauge group then the hypercharges are automatically quantised.

1. What is the current leading theory on the origin of electric charge?

The current leading theory on the origin of electric charge is that it is an inherent property of elementary particles, such as protons and electrons. These particles have a characteristic charge that cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

2. How is electric charge related to the structure of atoms?

Electric charge is related to the structure of atoms in that it is the result of the imbalance of positive and negative charges within an atom. Protons, which have a positive charge, are located in the nucleus of an atom, while electrons, which have a negative charge, orbit around the nucleus. The number of protons and electrons in an atom determines its overall charge.

3. What research methods are currently being used to study the origin of electric charge?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to study the origin of electric charge, including experiments with particle accelerators, theoretical calculations, and observations of natural phenomena. They are also studying the behavior of particles at a subatomic level to better understand their charge properties.

4. What are some potential implications of further understanding the origin of electric charge?

Further understanding of the origin of electric charge could have significant implications in fields such as quantum physics, where the interactions between charged particles play a crucial role. It could also lead to advancements in technology, such as the development of more efficient batteries and energy storage devices.

5. Are there any current controversies or debates surrounding the origin of electric charge?

There are ongoing debates and controversies surrounding the origin of electric charge, particularly in regards to its relationship with other fundamental forces, such as gravity and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Some scientists also propose alternative theories, such as the idea that electric charge is not a fundamental property but instead emerges from a deeper underlying mechanism.