DSL works - No Telephone Dial Tone?!?

by callerundone
Tags: dial, telephone, tone
DaleSpam
Dec15-07, 06:05 AM
Mentor
P: 16,482
I fired my land-line provider for much less than this! I went all wireless phones and cable-modem for internet.

I don't plan on going back any time soon.
callerundone
Dec16-07, 03:49 PM
P: 6
I've tried a plain old touch-tone phone (not wireless) - as basic as you can get. I haven't tried removing the DSL filters, however. Waiting for our next episode of phone silence to try that. Our buildings were built a year ago - no one else on this row of townhomes seems to be having any trouble. All the suggestions you have are great .... I'll keep trying them as the opportunity arises (which is WILL ... it has never NOT come up again)
callerundone
Dec16-07, 03:49 PM
P: 6
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
I'm not more expert than anybody. In fact, I'd be scared to go on 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'. I think that you might be overcomplicating the situation, though. I didn't mean to imply that the 911 was randomly generated by cross-talk. What I was thinking is that someone else might have dialled that number, but cross-talk led to a mistaken origin.
Can't help but comment on the quote - love it!
Evo
Dec16-07, 08:31 PM
Mentor
P: 25,945
I've moved this to General Technology where these discussions go.

I suggest you read the two threads about this.

"phone has no dial tone DSL WORKS OK??"

"update 1 wire DSL WORKS"

Hope this helps.
glen031
Dec18-11, 06:30 PM
P: 1
Thanks for info , had same problem .The past week phone worked off and on ,no dial tone ,when it did work abit of interference.DSL always worked. You could phone our house and got ringing but nothing at our end . I checked all phone conections inside and outside.
The one thing that hit home was the 911 call . Our nieghbour across the street had the police there this week for a 911 call that they didnt do . The phone tech (Bell) found loose conection down the street apparently thats a common problem when wires are loose 911 is a easy combination to dial ?? Thanks I leanrt something today .
This loose connection did affect the speed of internet ,which neighbours had but no phone disconnect .
TylerH
Dec21-11, 05:32 PM
P: 737
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
Well what have they done about it? Have they sent an engineer out to your house? If so, what did he say when he arrived? Have they even made an effort to fix it?

I don't know about the phone system in the US, but I'm sure there can't be a monopoly on the phone services, can there?

Edit: are you sure it's definitely the phone line, and not the handset itself?
It's a de facto monopoly. It was a monopoly in the normal sense, then congress split the national monopoly into many regional monopolies.

But, the fact that they are regional monopolies is tolerated and regulated by the state. They get to operate as a monopoly, but have to sacrifice some autonomy, for the sake of efficiency. This is allowed where competition isn't a viable option. (Phone service is believed to be inviable as a competitive market.)
RCP
Jan13-12, 04:37 PM
P: 11
WRT the OP I've had they same situation where my DSL worked but not the phone a few times. The DSL-from what the ATT repair guy told me-requires a lot less power so if there is a minor short somewhere it may still run but not the phone. hth

Register to reply