Troubleshooting DSL Connection: Inconsistent Speeds and Phone Interference

• Thread starter NEEDhelpPLEAS
  • Start date
In summary, according to the aforementioned observations, it seems as though the internet speed is boosted up to 12 Mbps when the phone first starts up and the dial tone is sounding. However, this boost disappears once a call is connected or any other type of activity is taking place. It is unclear why this is the case and there is no clear solution. Speedtest.net is a reliable way to test your internet speed.
NEEDhelpPLEAS
Please help me with dsl problem!

Okay here is my problem. I used to have 1.5mbps, then I upgraded to 6mbps. Last night I upgraded to 12mbps. Thing is I never noticed a difference. So today I figured I would run a speed test. In the end it turns out it only tests at the 1.5. I called my internet company and asked them what was wrong and they didn't know and wanted to charge me $100 an hour for people to come to my house. They said they were showing I was getting the 12mbps but couldn't tell me why it wasn't showing up. I did some research on my own. My phone has a dsl/phone splitter on it. I have the up to date modem and an up to date router. Everything is connected correctly and everything is pretty much new. My internet works fine (at 1.5) and phone works fine. So I started a test and was in the process of dialing a phone number when I noticed, my speed went up to 12 mbps. So I tried a few things. It seems as if when the phone first is turned on, and the dial tone is sounding, the internet boosts up to 12. That is the only time. I tried connecting just my DSL to the wall jack, only 1.5. I tried keeping it regular and making a call but as soon as you start dialing numbers and connecting a call, back to 1.5. So can someone here please tell me why it goes up to 12 when the dial tone is on but no other time under any other circumstance.

Note: Router is 2.4 GHz and phone is 5.8 GHz, so that's not the problem.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Really weird. Perhaps if you use a cell to call the ISP the test will fail from the ISP's end and they will have to fix it for you. If you are getting a connection then I can't really think of anything to help. It sounds as if the ISP has something a little shady going on. I'll try to find some software that might be able to document the internet speed over a period of time so you can have some proof that the ISP is failing to meet their contract.

You documented this quite well. I'd copy and paste it into a polite letter to them, asking them to come out and fix you problem for free since the problem is obviously their system and not your computer "according to the aforementioned observations."

As for which service to use to test your speed, I always use Speedtest.net, as it has consistantly produced the most accurate results for me. I'm on a Comcast cable modem and get 7+ Mbps download, and about half that for upload.

What is DSL and how does it work?

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is a type of internet connection that uses existing telephone lines to transmit data. It works by sending digital signals through the telephone lines at a higher frequency than voice calls, allowing for faster internet speeds.

Why am I experiencing problems with my DSL connection?

There could be a number of reasons for DSL connection problems, including faulty equipment, physical line issues, or network congestion. It's important to troubleshoot and isolate the issue in order to find a solution.

How can I troubleshoot my DSL connection problem?

You can start by checking all the cables and connections to make sure they are secure and functioning properly. You can also try resetting your modem and router, and running a speed test to determine if the issue is with your internet speed.

What should I do if resetting my equipment doesn't solve the problem?

If resetting your equipment doesn't work, you may need to contact your internet service provider for further assistance. They may be able to remotely troubleshoot the issue or send a technician to your home to resolve the problem.

Can I prevent future DSL connection problems?

While some DSL connection problems are out of your control, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of experiencing issues. This includes regularly updating your equipment, avoiding physical damage to cables and lines, and monitoring your internet usage to prevent network congestion.