Firefox doesn't work

by matthewdb
Tags: firefox, work
matthewdb
Jan11-12, 12:38 AM
P: 11
Anyone else having a problem with PF in firefox? It works fine in IE (but I hate IE...)

When I try it in firefox I get this message:

Method Not Implemented

GET to /showthread.php not supported.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
jedishrfu
Jan11-12, 12:47 AM
P: 2,493
you must have a bad url or something. 404 errors come up because of that. the .php file is a server-side file so I think the server is confused about your url try using www.physorg.com to get to the physicsforums.com or type in the www.physicsforums.com by itself.

I tried it on firefox on linux and it worked just fine. version # is 3.6.24
Simon Bridge
Jan11-12, 12:48 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 11,102
Have you tried deleting your cache and cookies?

Jimmy
Jan11-12, 12:50 AM
P: 633

Firefox doesn't work

I've been using Firefox for years here without issue.

Try clearing your cache:
Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Clear Now

Failing that, try running Firefox in Safe Mode:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Safe%20Mode

If it works in safe mode, then an extension is probably to blame.
matthewdb
Jan11-12, 12:57 AM
Quote Quote by Simon Bridge View Post
Have you tried deleting your cache and cookies?
That did it, thanks.

What is weird is that it stopped working today on both my home and work computers. Different ISP, FF version and OS...
jedishrfu
Jan11-12, 04:35 AM
P: 2,493
Quote Quote by matthewdb View Post
That did it, thanks.

What is weird is that it stopped working today on both my home and work computers. Different ISP, FF version and OS...
True but same operator
matthewdb
Jan11-12, 09:09 AM
Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
True but same operator
OK, what did I do to make it quit? It wasn't a bad URL since I'm using a bookmark in both cases under FF and by purging the cache it works.
Simon Bridge
Jan11-12, 09:43 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 11,102
Google the error message and you'll see.
nvn
Jan15-12, 04:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
matthewdb: Exactly what url are (were) you using in your Firefox bookmark?
MarcoD
Jan15-12, 02:52 PM
P: 98
I have a similar problem that the site ceases to work with certain browsers.

I am pretty sure it's a combination of the stored profile (probably some cookie,) and the advertisements. It happens on other sites too.

My theory, at the moment, is that for my current profile the advertisement server either stalls or redirects to very slow sites, freezing the rendering process of PF web pages.

You might want to check whether you have the same problem by wiping all profiles/cookies under Firefox and see whether you can load the pages then. (I don't because I am too lazy to restore all passwords stored, so I usually switch browser.)
matthewdb
Jan15-12, 07:50 PM
I am going to the main page:

http://www.physicsforums.com/

It will work for a while if I clear the cache and then it will quit on my next visit. I've just started using private mode and then it works fine. Private mode doesn't allow websites you are browsing to see your cookies so I'm sure it's a cookie problem with PF.
PAllen
Jan15-12, 11:30 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,863
Quote Quote by matthewdb View Post
I am going to the main page:

http://www.physicsforums.com/

It will work for a while if I clear the cache and then it will quit on my next visit. I've just started using private mode and then it works fine. Private mode doesn't allow websites you are browsing to see your cookies so I'm sure it's a cookie problem with PF.
Actually, private browsing in Firefox does not change your cookie policy at all. It allows sites to do whatever is allowed by your normal cookie policy (including any exceptions you've set up); this also applied to the infamous flash cookies. Instead, what it ensures is that all cookies (including flash cookies) materialized during the session are deleted on termination. (Of course, it also deletes history and cache used in the session as well).

Given that this solves your problem you might want to try setting a cookie exception for physics forums that keeps cookies only for the session (downside - you will have to log in every time).

Personally, I disable cookies by default for all sites, and allow them only for sites that I want. This gets rid of all advertising cookies from associated advertising sites. I also completely disable flash cookies and refuse to use sites that require them (this you can't do from firefox; googling should get you instructions for this, if desired).

However, in your case you might say it is too late for this approach because you have too many cookies remembering logins that you don't want to lose.

Pick your poison.

[Edit: I realize that even before I became a paid member I never got ads because of security addons I have in firefox; not primarily adblockers (though those exist), but many ads are eliminated due to security policies). So if your problem is ad related, I never had it. I would not want to recommend ad blockers. Instead, I encourage contributing to this site.]
nvn
Jan16-12, 01:59 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
matthewdb: Your url looks good, I think. The software may have changed since then, but in the past, the PF software sometimes exhibited strange bugs if you omitted the "www." This is mentioned in post 2936816.

Register to reply