Problem with IE and posting to the forum

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary,-Every time Dave tries to like a post or post to the forum, he gets error messages-Dave noticed the problem last night-The problem is constant (since it started last night)-Greg reports that the problem is not confined to Dave's PC-All is well as far as Dave is concerned-IE11 is reporting problems with the layout of the page-FireFox is reporting no problems-Dave and Greg think the problem may have finally been resolved
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi,
this only started last nite
using Win 7 home, IE 11 on a i5 processor PC
every time I try to like a post or post to the forum I get error messages

I am posting this msg using firefox

trying to like a post gives this error...

error1.JPG
OK at the moment posting/replying to a thread seems to be working again
but other weird things happening ...

If I mouse click in the text reply box type a single character it keeps adding lines ( carriage returns) and the text box grows larger ... in fact it doesn't matter what I do in the text box it grows larger even if I hit the delete key

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Similar thing is happening to me. I posted in the mentor area, and wound up with 3 posts from the one I started.
I'm noticing the same thing that davenn is reporting. Typing a character (which shows up in Times font now) causes the input box to add aother blank line. Also, numerous POST errors,

Likes davenn
Greg Bernhardt said:
How often?

Greg,
ALL the time ... the problem is constant ( since it started last nite)

thanks for the confirmation Mark, at least it isn't confined to my PC
I can still go onto PF with IE and get continuous added lines in the text box
here in FF its OK

Dave

ahhhh the other error msg has returned , this is the one I get when trying to Post Reply"

error2.JPG
Dave

Thanks for the reports. This morning we updated the web server. We'll try a roll back tomorrow.

Likes davenn
I have problems as well, the whole layout of the page seems different, like that IE 11 cannot parse the html correctly, menus and buttons are missing or seem to be corrupted and such. Whatever update you did doesn't seem to work with IE11.I can hardly type this message, all sorts of things happening during typing...

Well i don't know what you did but seems fixed now, 10:45 GMT.

Thanks Greg

it appears to be working correctly again with IE 11 :smile:

cheers
Dave

We'll be updating the web server again with a newer build. Please report any problems. thanks!

No server server server problems best I can tell. All's well. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
I think we finally got it right!
Careful, you'll jinx yourself. :smile:

I'm not seeing any problems either (and I use both IE and FireFox).

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the problem with Internet Explorer and posting to the forum?

The problem with Internet Explorer (IE) and posting to the forum is that sometimes IE may not be compatible with the forum's code or features, causing issues with posting or viewing content.

2. How can I fix the problem with IE and posting to the forum?

To fix the problem, you can try updating your IE browser to the latest version, clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or using a different browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

3. Does the forum have a specific browser requirement for posting?

It is recommended to use a modern browser with the latest updates for the best experience when posting on the forum. However, the forum should still be accessible and functional on most major browsers.

4. Can add-ons or extensions in IE affect posting to the forum?

Yes, certain add-ons or extensions in IE can interfere with the forum's functionality. Try disabling any add-ons or extensions and see if that resolves the issue.

5. If I continue to have issues with IE and posting to the forum, who should I contact for help?

If you are still experiencing problems after trying the above solutions, you can reach out to the forum's technical support team for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or address any potential bugs within the forum's code.