Two Charges - Electric Potential Question

by pierretong
Tags: charges, electric, potential
Share this thread:
pierretong
Jan19-12, 07:55 AM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charges q = 4.0μ C are fixed in space a distance d = 4.0 cm apart, as shown in the figure. With V = 0 at infinity, what is the electric potential at point C?

You bring a third charge q = 4.0μC from infinity to C. How much work must you do?

What is the potential energy U of the three-charge configuration when the third charge is in place?

Diagram shows (let me use x-y coordinate terms to describe this). Charge q at the origin. Another charge q at (4 cm, 0 cm) and point C at (2 cm, 2 cm)

2. Relevant equations

Electric Potential = kQ/r

3. The attempt at a solution

That's the right equation for the first part correct? I get 1.27*10^4 for the electric potential for one of the charges on point C. When you double that, you get 2.5 * 10^4 V and that should be the answer? (online homework system says that it is wrong).
What am I doing wrong here?

Also I don't understand the second part. If you are moving a charge from infinity, how can you calculate the work? You don't know the distance?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
SammyS
Jan19-12, 08:15 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,819
Quote Quote by pierretong View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charges q = 4.0μ C are fixed in space a distance d = 4.0 cm apart, as shown in the figure. With V = 0 at infinity, what is the electric potential at point C?

You bring a third charge q = 4.0μC from infinity to C. How much work must you do?

What is the potential energy U of the three-charge configuration when the third charge is in place?

Diagram shows (let me use x-y coordinate terms to describe this). Charge q at the origin. Another charge q at (4 cm, 0 cm) and point C at (2 cm, 2 cm)

2. Relevant equations

Electric Potential = kQ/r

3. The attempt at a solution

That's the right equation for the first part correct? I get 1.27*10^4 for the electric potential for one of the charges on point C. When you double that, you get 2.5 * 10^4 V and that should be the answer? (online homework system says that it is wrong).
What am I doing wrong here?

Also I don't understand the second part. If you are moving a charge from infinity, how can you calculate the work? You don't know the distance?
Hello pierretong. Welcome to PF !

I see that this is your 2nd post & that you posted your first thread yesterday?

I hope DocAl's explanation was helpful, and that you were you able to solve your problem.

As for this thread:
4 cm = 4 10-2 m, not 4 10+2 m.
Your answer is in error by some power of 10.

Register to reply