Register to reply

Can you close a thread?

by jwriter
Tags: None
Share this thread:
jwriter
Jan20-12, 11:14 AM
P: 7
Dear moderator - sometimes a thread gets so full of irrelevant information that it is no use to anybody, including the OP. The problem is nobody is going to read it, even if there is a useful answer buried at the bottom. Frustrating.

I would like to close it and start a new thread asking the question a different way. Please let me know if you can do this and I will send you the link. Would really appreciate it. I am still hoping to get an answer.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Ryan_m_b
Jan20-12, 11:17 AM
Mentor
P: 5,473
If you see a thread you think needs to be closed simply report it using the report button under a nameplate. Choose a post that you think is an appropriate example of why the thread is no longer useful/contains irrelevant information. Then in the report window write a detailed description of what problem you are trying to highlight.
jwriter
Jan20-12, 11:20 AM
Thank you. Wow, you are prompt! I just read about using the Report button in another thread and was going to do that.

Ryan_m_b
Jan20-12, 11:22 AM
Mentor
Can you close a thread?

Quote Quote by jwriter View Post
Wow, you are prompt!
Here at Physics Forums we aim to please
jwriter
Jan20-12, 03:03 PM
So far, really like this forum. I just need to master the gentle art of asking responders to stay on topic - kind of like herding chickens. Oh well.

Can you advise how to tell if a thread is closed? So far I have not seen how this is designated. Also, if I make a request to have a thread closed, will I get a response? Or is the answer simply that the thread is, or is not closed? Thanks.
rollcast
Jan20-12, 03:05 PM
P: 418
The new reply button will say locked and will have a key picture on it like this.

phinds
Jan20-12, 03:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,335
So far, really like this forum. I just need to master the gentle art of asking responders to stay on topic

Welcome to the forum. I love your optimism.
jtbell
Jan20-12, 03:40 PM
Mentor
P: 11,779
Can you advise how to tell if a thread is closed?
In a forum's thread list, a locked thread has an icon with a little padlock on it.
Attached Thumbnails
locked.jpg  
Ryan_m_b
Jan20-12, 03:43 PM
Mentor
When a thread is locked no one can post anymore nor edit their posts and as rollcast points out the locked symbol will appear at the top and bottom of the page.

A thread is generally only locked if it doesn't comply with the rules, if the conversation goes greatly off topic, if the matter is settled but members keep repeating themselves or if it is a very old threads. When a thread is requested to be locked the mentors discuss it to see if it is warranted but as a rule we dont lock a thread without good reason.
DaveC426913
Jan20-12, 04:03 PM
P: 15,319
So far, really like this forum. I just need to master the gentle art of asking responders to stay on topic - kind of like herding chickens. Oh well.
BTW, you can actually enforce this, rather than having to abandon a thread. You can request that users stay on topic, and if they do not, you can report posts that are off-topic. Mods will review the posts and, if they agree that it is sufficiently off-topic, will remove them.

It happens all the time here.

The key is to ensure at the outset that users are aware how narrow you want the focus to be and to keep that up. This helps the mods assess it too.
drizzle
Jan20-12, 04:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Only if they got there on time DaveC426913, otherwise, the accelerated post rate won't leave a chance to anything but

You've seen this in P &WA.
partho550
Feb12-12, 10:09 AM
P: 2
can you guys help me in writing a thread. i'm not getting any idea. Ijust found this topic and i m posting this here...please help. i'm new to physics forum and i m completely lost!
DaveC426913
Feb12-12, 10:15 AM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by partho550 View Post
can you guys help me in writing a thread. i'm not getting any idea. Ijust found this topic and i m posting this here...please help. i'm new to physics forum and i m completely lost!
Choose an appropriate forum and enter it. At the bottom, there should be a button.
Saladsamurai
Feb12-12, 11:59 AM
P: 3,016
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Choose an appropriate forum and enter it. At the bottom, there should be a button.
Never knew there was one at the bottom! I always use the one at the top. Ha!
ZunairaMaryam
Feb14-12, 03:16 PM
How can we start new thread or post?
I like Serena
Feb14-12, 03:19 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,188
Quote Quote by ZunairaMaryam View Post
How can we start new thread or post?
Suppose you want to ask a question in introductory physics.
Then you should open the appropriate sub forum, which is:
http://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

At the top, you'll see the button .
Click it, and you're starting a new thread.

Register to reply