Calculating volume of an air tank given the compressor delivery rate

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume of air tanks being charged by an electric compressor with a delivery rate of 17 SCFM. The calculation for the volume is based on the atmospheric pressure at sea level, air tank start and end pressures, and the compressor run time of 90 seconds. The result of the calculation is 2.6 cubic feet. The conversation also discusses the possibility of calculating the air tank volume for building air from 110 to 130 PSIG.
dpeff
I have an electric compressor with a delivery rate of 17 SCFM. I would like to calculate the volume of the air tanks that are being charged by keeping track of how long the compressor runs while building air from pressure 1 to pressure 2. I believe that the following calculation is correct. Can someone verify the calculation below which is calculated building air from 0 to 130 PSIG (at sea level)?

Also, if the calculation is basically correct, can the air tank volume be calculated building air from 110 to 130 PSIG?

Given:
Air compressor delivery rate: 17 SCFM
Atmospheric pressure at sea level: 14.7 PSIG
Air tank start pressure: 0 PSIG
Air tank end pressure: 130 PSIG
Air charge time (compressor run time building air from 0 to 130 PSIG): 90 seconds

Calculation of air tank volume:
V1 = 17 SCFM * 90s/60s = 25.5 cubic feet
Since P1V1=P2V2
V2 = (P1/P2)V1
V2 = (14.7)/(130+14.7)25.5
V2 = 2.6 cubic feet

Physics news on Phys.org
One standard cubic foot is 0.00264 lb moles. So 17 SCFV x 1.5 x (0.00264) = 0.0673 lb moles. The universal gas constant is 0.730 ##\frac{ft^3 atm}{R\ lb_{mole}}##. 130 psig = 145 psia = 10 atm. So, $$V=\frac{(0.0673)(0.730)(530)}{10}=2.6\ ft^3$$

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of an air tank?

The formula for calculating the volume of an air tank is as follows: Volume = Delivery Rate / Pressure

2. How do I determine the delivery rate of a compressor?

The delivery rate of a compressor can be determined by checking the manufacturer's specifications or by using a flow meter to measure the amount of air being delivered per minute.

3. Can I use the delivery rate at maximum pressure to calculate the volume of the air tank?

Yes, you can use the delivery rate at maximum pressure to calculate the volume of the air tank. However, keep in mind that the delivery rate may vary at different pressures, so it is best to use the delivery rate at the specific pressure you will be using the air tank at.

4. What unit of measurement should I use for the delivery rate and pressure in the formula?

The delivery rate should be measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) and the pressure should be measured in pounds per square inch (PSI) for accurate results.

5. Is there a maximum volume limit for air tanks when using this calculation method?

There is no specific maximum volume limit for air tanks when using this calculation method. However, it is important to consider the size and capacity of the compressor to ensure it can effectively fill the desired volume of the air tank.